IT Organization Direction
Many companies ignore the fact that it is often the human factors that have a more direct impact on overall strategy success. Any time you develop an IT Strategy, consider how well the IT organization is positioned to deliver it.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of our IT organization – our services, our skills, and our processes?
- In particular, how ready are we to do our part to act on company priorities?
- What changes do we need to make in how we deliver IT services in the near-term, medium-term, and long-term?
These questions are addressed by your IT Organization Direction.
The IT Organization Direction needs to consider several things: skills and capabilities, services and processes, and organization structure.
IT Organization Direction is structured to address these elements:
- Assess Current IT Capabilities.
- Assess Current IT Organization Structural Alignment.
- Develop IT Organization Strategic Directions.
When you have completed the IT Organization Direction program, you will have:
- A good understanding of the organization’s strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Ideas for how well the organizational structure supports delivery of IT services and interaction with the business.
- A set of opportunities to improve skills, processes, and organizational alignment.
IT Organization Direction should be revisited periodically, at least annually or when there is a significant course correction in corporate direction or structure.
Bundle 4 of 5
|FastTrack Activity||IT Organization Direction FastTrack|
|Assess IT Organizational Alignment||
IT-Business Interaction Model
IT Service Model Alignment
|Identify IT Organizational Gaps||IT Organizational Gaps|
|Assess IT Capabilities||
IT Staffing Worksheet
IT Skills Inventory
Irregular IT Staff Inventory
Staff Level Allocation
IT Skills Inventory Tool: Light Version
|Set IT Organization Direction||Statement of Organization and Capability Direction|
|Identify IT Organization Improvement Opportunities||Organization and Capability Improvement Opportunity Template|