Already a member? Sign In.
Need help? Our Trial Membership program will get you help on any IT project you're working on. You'll get access to our research, tools, advice and project help.
IT Organization Direction
Many companies ignore the fact that it is often the human factors that have a more direct impact on overall strategy success. Any time you develop an IT Strategy, consider how well the IT organization is positioned to deliver it.
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of our IT organization – our services, our skills, and our processes?
- In particular, how ready are we to do our part to act on company priorities?
- What changes do we need to make in how we deliver IT services in the near-term, medium-term, and long-term?
These questions are addressed by your IT Organization Direction.
The IT Organization Direction needs to consider several things: skills and capabilities, services and processes, and organization structure.
IT Organization Direction is structured to address these elements:
- Assess Current IT Capabilities.
- Assess Current IT Organization Structural Alignment.
- Develop IT Organization Strategic Directions.
When you have completed the IT Organization Direction program, you will have:
- A good understanding of the organization’s strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Ideas for how well the organizational structure supports delivery of IT services and interaction with the business.
- A set of opportunities to improve skills, processes, and organizational alignment.
IT Organization Direction should be revisited periodically, at least annually or when there is a significant course correction in corporate direction or structure.
Bundle 4 of 5
|FastTrack Activity||IT Organization Direction FastTrack|
|Assess IT Organizational Alignment||
IT-Business Interaction Model
IT Service Model Alignment
|Identify IT Organizational Gaps||IT Organizational Gaps|
|Assess IT Capabilities||
IT Staffing Worksheet
IT Skills Inventory
Irregular IT Staff Inventory
Staff Level Allocation
IT Skills Inventory Tool: Light Version
|Set IT Organization Direction||Statement of Organization and Capability Direction|
|Identify IT Organization Improvement Opportunities||Organization and Capability Improvement Opportunity Template|