McLean & Company interviewed team managers and HR leaders with experience in managing employee engagement initiatives.
The following people contributed to the research for this solution set:
- Employee engagement impacts a company’s bottom line as well as the quality of work life for employees.
- Employee engagement surveys often fail to provide the value you are hoping for because they are treated like an annual project that quickly loses steam.
- The responsibility for fixing the issues identified falls to HR, and ultimately HR has very little control over an employee’s concerns with their day-to-day role.
- HR and the executive team have been exclusively responsible for engagement for too long. Since managers have the greatest impact on employees, they should also be primarily responsible for employee engagement.
- In most organizations, managers underestimate the impact they can have on employee engagement, and assume that the broader organization will take more meaningful action.
- Improving employee engagement may be as simple as improving the frequency and quality of the “3Is”: informing employees about the why behind decisions, interacting with them on a personal level, and involving them in decisions that affect them.
Impact and Result
- Managers have the greatest impact on employee engagement as they are in a unique situation to better understand what makes employees tick.
- If employees have a good relationship with their manager, they are much more likely to be engaged at work which ultimately leads to increases in revenue, profit, and shareholder return.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.