Comprehensive Software Reviews to make better IT decisions
Small Enterprise SituAction: A CIO Assesses the Structure of the IT Team
Good IT leaders are supported by great IT teams. Take the opportunity to reassess the makeup and capabilities of the team.
Situation: An Info-Tech member recently joined a new organization. He is excited about the opportunity because his previous employer had a very operational view of IT. Finally, he has a role as a CIO with a seat at the executive table. One of his first goals is to assess the capabilities and makeup of his new IT team.
Complication: His new C-level colleagues are very excited about the potential strategic value of IT and are keen to work with the new CIO. Unfortunately, the IT department isn’t in great shape due to a curious mixture of underinvestment and strategically important things and a pattern of chronic overspend on core infrastructure. The new CIO has to assess his new department.
One of his first goals is to get a handle on the capabilities of his new team.
- The First 100 Days As CIO. The new CIO has to get up to speed quickly. The first 100 days are a crucial time. Info-Tech’s blueprint provides guidance on important first steps. Relevant tools include:
- Conduct an IT Staffing Assessment. Info-Tech's staffing diagnostic enables IT leaders to determine if operations are in-line with industry benchmarks. Variables include staffing levels, cost, seniority, span of control, and effort spent on different IT functions. Ask your account manager about our benchmarks and about assessing your own staffing levels.
- Redesign Your IT Organizational Structure. Making changes to the organizational structure is always a challenge. This blueprint provides succinct guidance on making the appropriate changes and communicating those changes to the entire organization.
- Implement Effective Employee Development Planning. A new organizational structure often requires new skills and additional professional development. This blueprint enables IT leaders to work with their colleagues in HR to assess appropriate competencies and create effective career development ladders.
- Build a Strategic Workforce Plan. IT departments have to adapt to accommodate changes in strategy and environment. A crucial component of overall IT strategic planning is the workforce plan.
- Build and Deliver an Optimized IT Update Presentation. Ultimately, staffing and personnel changes will have an impact on the entire organization. These changes need to be communicated to business stakeholders and senior leadership. Tools and templates that are relevant to this blueprint include:
Info-Tech’s blueprints and tools are valuable starting points for getting IT leaders up to speed quickly with their strategic-staffing responsibilities.
Want to Know More?
Recent data released from SoftwareReviews' Identity Access Management (IAM) Customer Experience Report reveals Symantec VIP is performing above the rest when it comes to providing good customer service.
HID officially announced its support of Seos-enabled IDs in Apple Wallet on August 13. This enables a more convenient and secure authentication process for iPhone users using HID technology.
Based on a recent survey conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA), organizations are confused about what privileged access management (PAM) is and whether they are using it effectively within their organization.
Micro Focus’s new offering, AD Bridge, extends AD policies and account management to Linux machines, simplifying identity and access management (IAM) for organizations running both Windows and Linux.
Canadian-based technology company Vivvo eyes government services as it launches e-services platform, CitizenOne.
SAP SE announced on April 30, 2019, that business-to-business (B2B) functionality has come to its customer identity and access management (CIAM) solutions.
Microsoft is working to usher in the era of passwordless multi-factor authentication as passwordless API becomes an official W3C standard. Strong authentication using biometrics and FIDO2-compatible hardware is the better, and more secure, method of multi-factor authentication.
Amazon Glacier is hardly an expensive storage option. But for those users who store massive amounts of rarely needed data, it may not be worthwhile. Enter Glacier Deep Archive, an even cheaper storage option for data with an access SLA of 12 hours.
Old file shares are a mess. Clean them up by identifying documents that are high-risk or high-value and get rid of everything else. Use a tool you didn’t know you owned to do it.