Implement Effective Employee Development Planning
Engage employees to own and plan their development.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- Managers don’t always have time to work on development planning, causing employees to feel under-appreciated and disengaged. In McLean & Company’s engagement survey, only 50% of employees felt they were encouraged to pursue their career development.
- Often, when managers think about development planning, they think about it from a formal training perspective and don’t always consider the many other more effective, on-the-job forms of development.
- Engage your employees to own their career development with managers providing guidance and support.
- Employee development is not a once-a-year discussion, it must be ongoing throughout the year with monthly check-in meetings to review goals and provide feedback and coaching.
- Employees must own the process with their managers providing support and guidance.
- Having employees and managers working together on development initiatives will increase employee engagement and empower your employees.
- Effective development benefits all stakeholders, not just employees and managers. It leads to increased organizational revenue due to improved employee performance and assists with succession planning by identifying future leaders.
- Using on-the-job training reduces costs associated with sending employees to external training programs and results in more successful development outcomes.
Impact and Result
- Increase employee engagement scores.
- Decrease employee turnover.
- Gain higher productivity and a more engaged workforce.
- J.D. Lester, Sr. Director of Human Resources, Citizens Property Insurance Corporation
- Hannah Barkley, Human Resources Manager, Ross Video
- Laura Hastings, VP HR & Organizational Development, Rhapsody International Inc.
- Michael Gokey, Training Program Manager
- Sheila Plymale, HR Manager, Shelia Plymale
- Cathy Campbell, Organizational Development Consultant, City of Mississauga
- Julie Webb, Director, Human Resources and Training, Monarch HealthCare
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Understand the benefits of implementing employee development
Make the case for training, prepare development planning, and prepare for career development conversations.
Make the case
Understand how employee development affects employee engagement
Prepare for employee development planning
Learn the development planning framework, understand employee and manager roles and accountabilities, learn how to create development goals, and review varies types of development.
Prepare for career development conversations
Learn how to give feedback using the 3C’s feedback model.