Six anonymous contributors
- Forty-eight percent of CIOs believe their budgets are inadequate.
- CIOs and IT departments are getting more involved with negotiations to reduce costs and risk.
- Not all negotiators are created equal, and the gap between a skilled negotiator and an average negotiator is not always easy to identify objectively.
- Skilled negotiators are in short supply.
- Preparation is critical for the success of your negotiation, but you cannot prepare for every eventuality.
- Communication is the heart and soul of negotiations, but what is being “said” is only part of the picture.
- Skilled negotiators separate themselves based on skillsets, and outcomes alone may not provide an accurate assessment of a negotiator.
Impact and Result
Addressing and managing critical negotiation elements helps:
- Improve negotiation skills.
- Implement your negotiation strategy more effectively.
- Improve negotiation results.
This guided implementation is a ten call advisory process.
Call #1 - Managing six key items during a negotiation.
Call #2 - Setting the proper tone for the negotiation sessions.
Call #3 - Focusing on three types of intangibles to improve your negotiation skills.
Call #4 - Communicating more effectively verbally and non-verbally.
Call #5 - Understanding and dealing with personality types.
Call #6 - Managing seven key aspects of your negotiation discussions.
Call #7 - Dealing with deadlocks and impasses and understanding their value.
Call #8 - Granting concessions and evaluating concessions received.
Call #9 - Identifying and defeating common vendor negotiation ploys.
Call #10 - Deciding whether to continue and how to walk away gracefully.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: 12 Steps to Better Negotiation Preparation
- Improve negotiation skills and outcomes.
- Understand how to use the Info-Tech During Negotiations Tool.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A better understanding of the subtleties of the negotiation process and an identification of where the negotiation strategy can go awry.
- The During Negotiation Tool will be reviewed and configured for the customer’s environment (as applicable).
Manage six key items during the negotiation process.
- Sample negotiation ground rules
Set the right tone and environment for the negotiation.
Focus on improving three categories of intangibles.
Improve communication skills to improve negotiation skills.
Customize your negotiation approach to interact with different personality traits and styles.
Maximize the value of your discussions by focusing on seven components.
Understand the value of impasses and deadlocks and how to work through them.
Use concessions as part of your negotiation strategy.
Identify and defeat common vendor negotiation ploys.
- Sample vendor negotiation ploys
Review progress and determine next steps.
- Sample discussion questions and evaluation matrix