- Your on-premises Dynamics CRM or AX needs updating or replacing, and you’re not sure whether to upgrade or transition to the cloud with the new Microsoft Dynamics 365 platform. You’re also uncertain what the cost might be, or if there are savings to be had with a transition to the cloud for your enterprise resource planning system.
- The new license model, Apps vs. Plans and Dual Use Rights in the cloud, includes confusing terminology and licensing rules that don’t seem to make sense. This makes it difficult to purchase proper licensing that aligns with your current on-premises setup and to maximize your choices in transition licenses.
- There are different licensing programs for Dynamics 365 in the cloud. You need to decide on the most cost effective program for your company, for now and for the future.
- Microsoft is constantly pressuring you to move to the cloud, but you don’t understand the why. You're uncertain if there's real value in such a strategic move right now, or if should you wait awhile.
- Focus on what’s best for you. Do a thorough current state assessment of your hardware and software needs and consider what will be required in the near future (one to four years).
- Educate yourself. You should have a good understanding of your options from staying on-premises vs. an interim hybrid model vs. a lift and shift to the cloud.
- Consider the overall picture. There might not be hard cost savings to be realized in the near term, given the potential increase in licensing costs over a CapEx to OpEx savings.
Impact and Result
- Understanding the best time to transition, from a licensing perspective, could save you significant dollars over the next one to four years.
- Planning and effectively mapping your current licenses to the new cloud user model will maximize your current investment into the cloud and fully leverage all available Microsoft incentives in the process.
- Gaining the knowledge required to make the most informed transition decision, based on best timing, most appropriate licensing program, and maximized cost savings in the near term.
- Engaging effectively with Microsoft and a competent Dynamics partner for deployment or licensing needs.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real-time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this blueprint and what our clients have to say.
Average $ Saved
Average Days Saved
Onsite Workshop: Microsoft Dynamics 365: Understand the Transition to the Cloud
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Understand What You Own and What You Can Transition to the Cloud
- Understand what you own and what you can transition to the cloud.
- Learn which new cloud user licenses to transition.
Key Benefits Achieved
- All your licenses in one summary.
- Eligible transition discounts.
- Mapping of on-premises to cloud users.
Validate your discount availability.
- Current agreement summary
Itemize your current license ownership.
- On-premises to cloud user mapping summary
Review your timing options.
Map your on-premises licenses to the cloud-based, user-based model.
- Understanding of cloud app and plan features
Module 2: Transition License Cost Estimate and Additional Costs
- Estimate cloud license costs and other associated expenses.
- Summarize and decide on the best timing, users, and program.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Good cost estimate of equivalent cloud user-based licenses.
- Understanding of when and how to move your on-premises licensing to the new Dynamics 365 cloud model.
Estimate cloud user license costs.
- Cloud user licensing cost modeling
Calculate additional costs related to license transitions.
Review all activities.
- Summary of total costs
- Validation of costs and transition choices
Summarize and analyze your decision.
- An informed decision on your Dyn365 timing, licensing, and costs