Institutionalize Innovation through IT
Leverage IT’s strong multi-department spanning position to facilitate innovation across the enterprise.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- The time for IT keeping the digital lights on has faded. Disruptive technologies such as the Cloud, social media, mobile devices, big data, and their implications on security have drastically changed the IT landscape.
- Business executives push hard for the adoption of new technologies into the corporate strategy. IT must ensure these technologies are streamlined without adversely affecting compliance, risk, or security.
- Satisfying tech-savvy business users is difficult, especially since the adoption of these technologies is not always transparent to the IT department. IT must be aware of end-user habits to maintain and satisfy business executives to maintain rapport all while protecting corporate information.
- IT must find a way to help facilitate innovation across the enterprise after proving its value as a contributing partner to business executives.
- An Info-Tech survey finds that organizations investing highly in disruptive technologies are experiencing a high innovation ROI from IT.
- The same survey finds that business units in these investments are increasingly excluding IT. More business units are taking on projects without IT involvement, taking value-add opportunities away from the IT department.
- IT departments that have the ability to deliver advanced IT services and can achieve business satisfaction with IT innovations drastically improve innovation ROI from IT.
- Position your IT department to facilitate innovation across your organization and add value to the Business or be left behind.
Impact and Result
- IT will gain the authority to facilitate innovation if it first understands its innovation eco-system, can innovate within the IT department, and can innovate with business units.
- IT can use its multi-department spanning position to facilitate an innovation engine with business units that continuously gathers ideas, supports small teams on innovative projects, and manages an innovation project portfolio.
- IT can also provide the organization with the tools and expertise needed to facilitate the innovation ideation and execution processes.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Understand innovation in your organization
Earn the authority to facilitate enterprise-wide innovation.
Create an Innovation Support Group
Generate and collect innovative ideas across your organization.
Create an Innovation Advisory Group
Ensure every innovation project has measurable business value.
Create an Innovation Oversight Board
Oversee and approve all innovation initiatives within the organization.
Create business proposals for innovative ideas
Develop a portfolio of innovative ideas that can be managed for maximum value.
Score ideas within your organization
Prioritize urgent ideas that will provide the maximum value.
Keep track of innovation metrics within your organization
Improve methods for innovation within the organization.
Create an IT Sourcing Strategy
Create a Customer-Centric Digital Strategy
Define an IT Strategy and Roadmap
Inspire an IT-Led Revolution
Align IT with the Real End Customer
Become a Transformational CIO
Make IT a Partner in Successful M&A Due Diligence
Make IT a Successful Partner in M&A Integration
Establish an Effective PMO for IT
Establish the Benefits Realization Process
Transfer IT Knowledge Before It’s Gone
Tailor an IT Governance Plan to Fit Organizational Needs
Establish an Effective System of Internal IT Controls to Mitigate Risks
Establish an Effective IT Steering Committee
2016 CIO Trend Report
Prepare for a Successful IT Strategy
Optimize IT Decision-Making
Get IT in Line with Organizational Needs
Build a Culture of IT Innovation
Use IT Metrics for Accountability and Success
Institutionalize Innovation through IT
Create a Cloud-Enabled IT Organization
Simplify and Optimize Your IT Operating Model
Create a Comprehensive Digital Operating Model