With COVID-19's rapid spread through populations, governments are looking for technology tools that can augment the efforts of manual contact tracing processes. How the system is designed is crucial to a positive outcome.
- CIOs must understand how distributed trust principles achieve embedded privacy and help encourage user adoption.
- CEOs must consider how society's waning trust in institutions affects the way they engage their customers.
Mobile contact tracing apps that use a decentralized design approach will be the most likely to be adopted by a wide swath of the population.
Impact and Result
There are some key considerations to realize from the way different governments are approaching contact tracing:
- If centralized, then seek to ensure privacy protections.
- If decentralized, then seek to enable collaboration.
- In either case, put in place data governance to create trust.