- Eric Wright, Director Technical Marketing, Turbonomic
- Darryl Levesque, Director, Technology Solutions, KTI Kanatek Technologies Inc.
- Kenneth Hui, Technical Marketing Engineer, Rubrik Inc.
- Andy Stone, Senior Product Manager, Sungard Availability Services
- Francisco Castellanos Garza, Manager of Information Technology, Gruma
- Organizations working on cloud strategy have found the total cost of ownership of a full-on lift and shift to cloud prohibitively expensive.
- Operating in a new environment can be intimidating depending on the complexity of your production site, especially if you plan to DIY.
- Your DR environment has to be secure and compliant and your performance has to be “good enough” to operate the business.
- Location still matters and selecting the DR site that optimizes latency tolerance and geo-redundancy can be difficult.
- Keep your systems dormant until disaster strikes. Prepare as much of your environment as possible without tapping into compute resources. Enjoy the low at-rest costs and leverage the reliability of the cloud in your failover.
- Leverage cloud DR as a start for cloud migration. Cloud DR provides a gateway for broader infrastructure lift and shift to cloud IaaS.
- Avoid failure on the failback! Bringing up your systems in the cloud is a great temporary solution, but an expensive long-term strategy. Make sure you have a plan to get back on premises.
Impact and Result
- Calculate the cost of your DR solution with a cloud vendor. Test your systems often to build out more accurate budgets and to define failover and failback action plans to increase confidence in your capabilities.
- Define “good enough” performance by consulting with the business and setting correct expectations for the recovery state.
- Protect your DR environment by ensuring the level of security and compliance matches the risk tolerance of the organization.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.