Comprehensive software reviews to make better IT decisions
SolarWinds Expands Support for Hybrid IT Operations
SolarWinds has announced updates to its IT Operations Management suite of products. These updates will improve users’ ability to monitor, manage, and secure hybrid operations and include the following:
- Key Azure services are now included in AppOptics and Pingdom that facilitate application performance monitoring and comprehensive monitoring of applications running on Azure.
- Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) adds new database performance analysis and support for Azure SQL Database Managed Instances.
- Server Configuration Monitor (SCM) improves monitoring and alerting for Windows systems running on Azure IaaS. It also supports Linux servers.
- Orion Maps improves visualization of physical and logical relationships between entities such as network devices, servers, and interfaces.
- SolarWinds Service Desk (SWSD), along with Orion Platform, automate creation of incident tickets when alerts are triggered.
- Cost Calculator for Azure identifies total expenditures for cloud services across Azure subscriptions.
- Access Rights Manager (ARM) and Security Event Manager (SEM) facilitate application access management and modernize security monitoring.
SolarWinds Orion Platform offers a wide range of functions. Source: SolarWinds
A recent survey of the SolarWinds user community, THWACK, found 53% use Azure and more organizations are going to use Azure in the future. SolarWinds and Microsoft have partnered to facilitate customers’ public cloud migrations and make Orion Platform modules available in Azure marketplace. Users leverage cloud platforms to do a wide variety of functions to enhance their IT productivity and operations.
SolarWinds wants to become the one-stop shop for customers who are running Azure. As organizations find a way to integrate and orchestrate IT systems across on-premises and cloud environments, hybrid cloud is becoming a hot space and vendors are evolving their tools accordingly. SolarWinds’ expanded product suite and features offer customers many more options and expanded capabilities. But it won’t offer them an “easy button” for monitoring and event management in their cloud environment. They will have to do the heavy lifting/hard work to determine what their requirements are for monitoring and event management. Only then will they be able to determine which technical capabilities are fulfilled by SolarWinds’ new offerings.
Want to Know More?
VMware has issued the highest Common Vulnerability Scoring System 3 (CVSSv3) rating, 10.0, on a vulnerability (CVE-2020-3952) found on its VMware vCenter Server version 6.7 software. VMware now has a patch to address this vulnerability, and administrators are urged to install the patch as soon as possible.
A Citrix vulnerability first discovered on December 17, 2019 is being continually exploited by ransomware attackers despite patching attempts by Citrix.
Project Zero is changing its vulnerability disclosure policy to give software developers more time to patch vulnerabilities. The policy is now shifted to a stringent 90-day policy.
Cybersecurity firm Bishop Fox identified eight vulnerabilities in ConnectWise’s remote control and remote access software.
Tenable Chosen as the Successor for BeyondTrust’s Vulnerability Management Suite; BeyondTrust Steps Aside
Announced on December 31, 2019, BeyondTrust named Tenable as the successor to its Vulnerability Management suite.
On January 15, 2020, the Department of Defense (DoD) issued an open call to vendors to fulfill a contract to help improve their technology and inventory management.
ServiceNow version New York has entered General Availability. These features should delight high-maturity IT departments but are mostly worthless for low-maturity groups.
Quest Software has announced its newest updates, KACE SDA 7.0 and KACE SMA 9.1, which enhance their features, apply Linux scripted installs, and automate systems management.
Puppet has rolled out Remediate. This release aligns with the ongoing consolidation between IT Operations and IT Security.