- Misalignment: Even if IT builds the capabilities to pursue digital channels, the channels will underperform in realizing organizational goals if the channels and the goals are misaligned.
- Ineffective analytics: Failure to integrate and analyze new data will undermine organizational success in influencer and sentiment identification.
- Missed opportunity: If IT does not develop the capabilities to support these channels, then lead generation, brand promotion, and engagement opportunities will be lost.
- Lack of control: Marketing is developing and depending on internal power users and agencies. This practice can isolate IT from digital marketing technology decision making.
- Identify and understand the digital marketing channels that can benefit your organization.
- Get stakeholder buy-in to facilitate collaboration between IT and product marketing groups to identify necessary IT capabilities.
- Build IT capability by purchasing software, outsourcing, and training or hiring individuals with necessary skillsets.
- Become transformational: use IT capabilities to support analytics that identify new customer segments, key influencers, and other invaluable insights.
- Time is of the essence! It is easier to begin strengthening the relationship between marketing and IT today then it will be at any point in the future.
- Being transformational means more than just enabling the channels marketing wants to pursue; IT must assist in identifying new segments and digital marketing opportunities, such as enabling influencer management.
Impact and Result
- IT is involved in decision making and has a complete understanding of the digital channels the organization is going to migrate to or phase out if unused.
- IT has the necessary capabilities to support and enable success in all relevant digital channel management technologies.
- IT is a key player in ensuring that all relevant data from new digital channels is managed and analyzed in order to maintain a 360 degree view of customers and feed real-time campaigns.
- This enables the organization to not only target existing segments effectively, but also to identify and pursue new opportunities not presented before.
- These opportunities include: identifying new segments among social networks, identifying key influencers as a new target, identifying proactive service and marketing opportunities from the public social cloud, and conducting new competitive analyses on the public social cloud.
Onsite Workshop: Build IT Capabilities to Enable Digital Marketing Success
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Identify Digital Marketing Opportunities
- Determine the fit of each digital channel with your organizational goals.
- Determine the fit of digital channels with your organizational structure and business model.
- Compare the fit of digital channels with your organization’s current levels of use to:
- Identify missed opportunities your organization should capitalize on.
- Identify digital channels that your organization is wasting resources on.
Key Benefits Achieved
- IT department achieves consensus around which opportunities need to be pursued.
- Understanding that continuing to pursue excellent-fit digital channels that your organization is currently active on is a priority.
- Identification of the channels that stopping activity on could free up resources for.
Define and prioritize organizational goals.
- Prioritized list of organizational goals.
Assess digital channel fit with goals and organizational characteristics.
- Assigned level of fit to digital channels.
Identify missed opportunities and wasted resources in your digital channel mix.
- List of digital channels that represent missed opportunities or wasted resources.
Brainstorm creative ways to pursue untapped digital channels.
- List of brainstormed ideas for pursuing digital channels.
Module 2: Identify Your Product-Specific Digital Marketing Landscape
- Identify the digital channels that will be used for specific products and segments.
- Identify the IT capabilities that must be built to enable digital channels.
- Prioritize the list of IT capabilities.
Key Benefits Achieved
- IT and marketing achieve consensus around which digital channels will be pursued for specific product-segment pairings.
- Identification of the capabilities that IT must build.
Assess digital channel fit with specific products.
- Documented channel fit with products.
Identify the digital usage patterns of target segments.
- Documented channel usage by target segments.
Decide precisely which digital channels you will use to sell specific products to specific segments.
- Listed digital channels that will be used for each product-segment pairing.
Identify and prioritize the IT capabilities that need to be built to succeed on each digital channel.
- Listed and prioritized capabilities that must be built to enable success on necessary digital channels.
Module 3: Enable Digital Marketing Capabilities and Leverage Analytics
- Identification of the best possible way to build IT capabilities for all channels.
- Creation of a plan for leveraging transformational analytics to supercharge your digital marketing strategy.
Key Benefits Achieved
- IT understanding of the costs and benefits of capability building options (people, process, and technology).
- Information about how specific technology vendors could fit with your organization.
- IT identification of opportunities to leverage transformational analytics in your organization.
Identify the gaps in your IT capabilities.
- A list of IT capability gaps.
Evaluate options for building capabilities.
- An action plan for capability building.
Identify opportunities for transformational analytics.
- A plan for leveraging transformational analytics.