Comprehensive Software Reviews to make better IT decisions
Small Enterprise SituAction: A New CIO Prepares for M&A
Mergers and acquisitions are challenging for many IT leaders in small enterprises. Use Info-Tech’s resources to assist with appropriate due diligence and prepare for eventual integration.
Situation: A long-time Info-Tech member joins a large professional services firm spread across several Canadian provinces with smaller operations in South America and the southern United States. Within a few months, her new company is acquired by a private equity (PE) firm as part of a strategy to consolidate that particular corner of the market.
Complication: The acquisition changes the role of IT and the newly minted CIO. She had expected to fulfill a largely operational role, but now has a much more strategic one. The PE partners expect her to be involved in due diligence as they pursue new acquisition targets. She is excited by the change in role, but also intimidated due to her lack of familiarity with mergers and acquisitions.
She needs to get up to speed. Fast.
- Make IT a Partner in Successful M&A Due Diligence. Mergers and acquisitions are a major IT challenge. Ideally, IT is involved before the deal actually closes and can provide some guidance on the feasibility and challenges of integration. Some of the relevant resources are:
- IT M&A Capabilities Readiness Check Template (PowerPoint)
- IT Due Diligence Report (Excel)
- Business Modeling Template (PowerPoint)
- Merger & Acquisition Target Technology Environment Selection Tool (Excel)
- Make IT a Successful Partner in M&A Integration. After due diligence, there is integration. It involves – by definition – a lot of planning and a lot of change. IT leaders must put a plan together. Some of the relevant resources are:
- M&A Runbook for Infrastructure & Operations. This blueprint focuses specifically on the integration challenges related to I&O. Neither the acquiring company nor the company to be acquired have an easy time of it. This blueprint is a practical guide to overcome the deer-in-the-headlights reaction of many IT executives to the prospect of M&A. Some of the relevant resources are:
- Don’t Allow Software Licensing to Derail Your M&A. Software licensing is a crucial component of effective planning for M&A activity. It's complicated and it often gets overlooked. Some of the relevant resources are:
Info-Tech’s blueprints and tools are valuable starting points for getting IT leaders up to speed quickly with their M&A-related responsibilities.
Want to Know More?
IoT manufacturers aren’t just waiting for 5G connectivity to deliver significant smart city solutions. From a smart city conference in Dublin, we showcase three examples of how IoT is improving urban environments today.
Enterprise SaaS Management platform Zylo recently raised $22.5 million in Series B funding to grow its workforce and development, making it a strong leader in this emerging space.
ServiceNow version New York has entered General Availability. These features should delight high-maturity IT departments but are mostly worthless for low-maturity groups.
Cherwell has announced it is consolidating its portfolio of modules into a single product at its Clear conference in Nashville this fall. Its promise of an elevated experience is achievable, but customers need to do some work to make it a reality.
Adoption of Micro Focus’ Service Management Automation X Product Increasing Along With Deployment Options
Micro Focus announced that its Service Management Automation X (SMAX) product has grown its customer count by 133% over the past year and can now be deployed as SaaS in addition to cloud or on-premises solutions.
Spiceworks announced new developments to its suite of free IT tools, including AI-powered insights and an on-premises version of its help desk application to provide better security and performance for high-volume ticket environments.
Snow’s Technology Intelligence Suite Can Provide an Avalanche of Value – Once You Have SAM Processes Established
Snow Software has expanded its Software Asset Management (SAM) offering with a new technology intelligence suite. SAM teams that combine this technology with process maturity should gain needed insight into on-premises and cloud technologies.
ServiceNow and Microsoft Partnership: Great for ServiceNow and Microsoft Customers, Great for Vendor Lock-In
ServiceNow and Microsoft are furthering their partnership by hosting the Now platform in the Azure-trusted cloud. These features and integrations are powerful, but comes at the price of vendor lock-in.
IBM has an attractive ITSM and ITAM roadmap for Control Desk. The BigFix divestiture, however, raises some pressing questions.