THIS CONTENT IS OUT OF DATEThis content is retired but we have related up-to-date content below.
Selecting service desk (ITSM) tools is a complex, knowledge-intensive project. Even organizations with mature processes, and effective service desks, can quickly become overwhelmed with the technical and commercial information they need to select a tool that will meet business needs.
- Most organizations don’t have a consistent approach to software selection. Every tool is selected individually, selection activities are unstructured and informal, and the information generated by one search is not validated or maintained for future searches.
- The ITSM tool landscape changes quickly, along with the features of individual tools. The landscape for ITSM software has changed significantly over the last decade. SaaS solutions have taken the market by storm, while automation and analytics have swept through existing toolsets and revolutionized their offerings.
- Select the wrong ITSM tool and you’ll do it again. ITSM-tool churn is an accepted facet of the ITSM tool market. Whether the exact tool replacement rate is every three, five, or seven years, clients regularly purchase an ITSM tool only to find that it doesn’t meet requirements.
- Understand the limitations of the old ITSM tool you are replacing and what you need from the new ITSM tool to support existing and future services, and ensure a successful implementation and migration.
- Draw on Software Reviews to learn from the collective knowledge of real IT professionals. Know the products and features available for each ITSM toolset, explore modules and detailed feature-level data, and get a quick understanding of the market.
- Use filtered, validated market data from real users to select your ITSM tool, convince stakeholders, and negotiate contracts confidently.
- Use the project blueprint to get step-by-step instructions that help you plan and structure the selection process, and avoid common software selection pitfalls.
Talk to our analyst about this research
Be recognized for your expertise! Participate in an expert interview with one of our analysts and we will acknowledge your contribution in an upcoming publication.
Each interview lasts approximately 30 minutes to 1 hour and provides you with the opportunity to share your best practices, opinions, tools or templates with your peers.