Comprehensive software reviews to make better IT decisions
Small Enterprise SituAction: Negotiating With Oracle
Contract negotiation with major vendors is always painful. Take a strategic approach to negotiating with Oracle on database and application licensing.
Situation: A VP of IT for a state-run communications utility receives a difficult phone call from a colleague in procurement/sourcing. Their Oracle licensing is coming up for renewal and the rep is talking about changes in terms and challenges with grandfathering existing conditions.
Complication: The VP has neither a strategy for negotiating with Oracle nor an understanding of Oracle’s future product strategy. He has to get up to speed quickly.
First, he needs to put in a strategy for negotiating with Oracle.
- Master Contract Review and Negotiate for Software Agreements. The first step is to create a general process for contract review and negotiation for any software vendor. Optimize spend with significant cost savings and negotiate from a position of strength. Relevant Info-Tech templates and tools include:
- Demystify Oracle Licensing and Optimize Spend. Overspending with Oracle is easier than you think, thanks to the open-access framework coupled with complexity of licensing.
- Explore the Secrets of Oracle Cloud Licensing. Oracle’s licensing for cloud-based products has its own particular quirks and challenges. Learn the essential steps to avoid overspending and minimize compliance risks with Oracle’s commercial cloud licensing model.
- Prepare and Defend Against a Software Audit. A mishandled audit can result in financial consequences far more severe than a slap on the wrist. It's important to prepare for the audit before it begins. Be proactive. Attempt to prevent the audit, execute the audit as efficiently as possible, and manage the inevitable follow-ups.
- Review some of our recent notes and tech briefs that are specifically relevant to Oracle’s current strategy and position:
- Beware of Free Software Licensing Help From Software Vendors
- Examining Software Licensing Models
- Oracle is Replacing Free Java SE Public Support With Paid Subscription Support Offering
- Does Your Oracle ULA Allow Deployment in the Public Cloud
- Update on Oracle’s Shift to Subscription Licensing for JAVA
- AI Fuels ERP Arms Race
- Oracle’s Cloud Purchase Programs - Good-Bad-Ugly
Info-Tech’s blueprints and tools are valuable starting points for getting IT leaders up to speed quickly with Oracle licensing and negotiation.
Want to Know More?
Thinking about choosing a new software vendor but don't know where to start? Narrow down your shortlist by focusing on software that has received an Info-Tech Research Group award. New data from SoftwareReviews shows that organizations reported higher satisfaction when they switched to software that had received an Info-Tech award.
Atlassian has acquired Halp, a real-time helpdesk tool that integrates with Slack. With the broader context of this move being Atlassian and Slack’s strategic alliance, might there be more to this acquisition than meets the eye?
Organizations are complex and have multiple stakeholders involved in the delivery of a service. In a public sector organization, for example, there are end users, multiple agencies and departments, and vendors involved in the delivery and consumption of the service. Service design methods and tools assist in making sense of these stakeholders’ inter-relationships and allow organizations to make sound decisions during service implementation.
The impact of COVID-19, as it became a global pandemic in Q1 of 2020, has affected user sentiment toward software during a growing period of fear, uncertainty, and doubt. To analyze the impact, SoftwareReviews compared Satisfaction (willingness to recommend to a peer), ability to deliver Business Value (fair cost to value), and Likeliness to Renew prior to March 10 and post March 10.
ITSM vendor InvGate announced that due to COVID-19 any organization can use InvGate Service Desk free of charge. This promotion helps IT departments when they need it most while gaining adoption and market traction for InvGate.
ServiceNow’s Orlando release introduced Now Intelligence, a set of features that strengthen ServiceNow’s lead in the AI-powered IT service management (ITSM) and digital transformation space.
Ivanti is well positioned to build on a solid ITSM foundation and will deliver expanded capability in areas such as mobility, customer experience, enterprise service management, and artificial intelligence.
IT solutions provider BMC announced that Shared Services Canada (SSC) has selected BMC Remedy to be its new ITSM platform. This adoption shows that BMC continues to be a viable option for governments and large enterprises.
ServiceNow has released four free emergency response apps to help customers with crisis management in the wake of COVID-19, including emergence response operations, employee outreach, self-reporting, and exposure management.