Vendor Landscape: Application Development Tools
November 26, 2013: Please note that this report will not be refreshed within the foreseeable future as the information within remains accurate and reflects the current market.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- Business is tight, timelines are tight, and getting more done in less time while staying in touch with the leading trends in software is critical to any business. Using development components and tools helps Developers to stay at the edge of technology, providing responsive solutions for your clients.
- Businesses developing software need to:
- Create more high-quality features in less time.
- Keep pace with the ever-changing world of software development.
- Add missing or enhanced functionality without writing lines of code.
- ComponentOne, the clear leader and champion of the development tool space, has been providing tools, components, and applications to assist developers for over 23 years. It provides the best-rounded offering of tools in all three of the major categories: Desktop, Mobile, and Web – all in one convenient suite.
- The cost point for each of the vendors is relatively equal; all offer a full “ultimate” suite containing all their products. Each vendor excels at specific functions and features. Janus Systems received the lowest scoring because its focus is on the desktop space, while the other vendors offer their products across 2 or 3 of the evaluated platforms.
- Development managers and leaders must base their decision to use the tools and components detailed in this research on empirical evidence and not based on what their developers tell them. Each vendor offers a trial period for its suite. Use these trials to determine first hand the suitability and actual cost savings. Developers are often too quick to “build it themselves” not realizing the impact to the business.
Impact and Result
- Understand what’s new in the development tools and component market.
- Evaluate development tool vendors and products for your organization’s needs.
- Determine which products are most appropriate for particular use cases and scenarios.
- Embark on the selection process of a development tools/component package.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Evaluate application development tool vendors
Map a clear view of the application development tools vendor landscape.
Create and evaluate a shortlist of vendors
Ensure that the most appropriate vendor is selected for the enterprise.
Take a Holistic View to Optimize Release Management
Choose the Right Development Platform for Enterprise Mobile Applications
Develop Enterprise Mobile Applications With Realistic and Relevant Performance
Stay on Top of Today’s and Tomorrow’s Mobile App Trends
Make Development Teams Leaner and Improve Time-to-Release in Five Steps
Strengthen the SSDLC for Enterprise Mobile Applications
Use DevOps to Respond Faster to End Customers
Modernize Your Corporate Website to Drive Business Value
Implement Agile Practices That Work
Enable Organization-Wide Collaboration by Scaling Agile
Spread Best Practices With an Agile Center of Excellence
Optimize Existing Applications for Security in an Untrusted World
Choose the Right Tools for Big Data Development
Optimize the Application Maintenance Estimation (AME) Process
Use PaaS to Decrease Ongoing Application Maintenance Costs
Develop APIs That Work Properly for the Organization
Enter Into Mobile Development Without Confusion and Frustration
Reduce Churn and Improve an Existing Software Development Practice
Vendor Landscape: Application Development Tools
Choose a Mobile Development Strategy
Drive Web Traffic with Search Engine Optimization
Develop a Position on Cloud Platform as a Service
Vendor Landscape: Application Lifecycle Management
Vendor Landscape: Mobile Enterprise Application Platforms
2016 Applications and Information Management Trends
Adopt SDLC Framework Techniques for Greater Lifecycle Efficiency
Develop a Fit-For-Purpose Modernization Process For Legacy Applications
Confidently Deliver Solutions with Realistic Release Schedules and Expectations
Move to a Microservices Architecture to Reduce Maintenance Cycles