- Key roles hold an organization's most valued skills and knowledge. In a worst case scenario, a key employee's departure results in the loss of valuable knowledge, core business relationships, and profits.
- The Baby Boomer demographic is a massive creator of workforce risk given their pending retirement, the sheer size of the demographic segment, and the fact that they populate the largest percentage of key roles in many organizations.
- Planning and executing on key role transition can take years. Organizations should prepare now to mitigate the risk of loss later.
- Over 58% of organizations are unprepared for Baby Boomer retirement. Approximately the same percentage of organizations that are unprepared for Boomer retirement also haven’t tackled workforce planning or succession planning.
- This means that three out of five organizations don’t know what skills they need for the future, or what their key roles truly are. They also haven’t identified at-risk key roles or successors for those roles.
- In addition, 74% of organizations have no formal process for facilitating knowledge transfer between individuals, so knowledge will be lost.
Impact and Result
- McLean & Company’s Key Roles Succession Planning Tool will help you assess key role incumbent risk factors as well as identify potential successors and their readiness. Pay particular attention to those employees in key roles that are nearing retirement, and flag them as high risk.
- Plan for the transfer of critical knowledge held by key role incumbents. Managers and HR leaders see significant tacit knowledge gaps in younger workers; prioritize tacit knowledge in your transfer plan and leverage multiple transfer methods.
- Explore alternative work arrangements to ensure sufficient time to prepare successors. A key role incumbent must be available to complete knowledge transfer.
- Define formal transition plans for all employees in at-risk key roles and their successors by leveraging your workforce and succession planning outputs, knowledge transfer strategy, and selected alternative work arrangements.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real-time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this blueprint and what our clients have to say.
Average $ Saved
Average Days Saved