Every organization needs a data management (DM) platform that enables the DM capabilities required. This could be a daunting task because:
- Every organization has a unique set of requirements for the DM platform.
- Software products are difficult to compare because every vendor provides a unique set of features.
- Software vendors are interested in getting as large a footprint as possible.
- Some products from different categories offer the same functionalities.
- Some products are just not compatible.
- Technology requirements start with the business goals.
- Data platform selection should be based on common best practices and, at the same time, be optimized for the organization’s specific needs and goals and support an evolutionary platform development.
- What is best for one organization may be totally unacceptable for another – all for very valid reasons.
Impact and Result
Understand your current environment and use proven reference architecture patterns to expedite building the data management platform that matches your needs.
- Use a holistic approach.
- Understand your goals and priorities.
- Picture your target-state architecture.
- Identify your current technology coverage.
- Select the software covering the gaps in technology enablement based on feature/functional enablement descriptions as well as vendor and deployment preferences.