Evaluate Cloud, Co-lo, and In-House DR Deployment Models
Determine which deployment models, including hybrid solutions, best meet your DR requirements.
- Your current DR solution does not meet business requirements – you either lack a DR site or it is insufficient.
- There is a wide range of DR options, from a co-lo site to managed DR services and you need to find a solution that balances budget and DR requirements.
- The CEO is pushing cloud for DR, but you know many of your workloads are not a good fit.
- Finding the ideal DR solution starts with a comprehensive requirements gathering process which looks at both functionality and cost. Failure to consider both perspectives will result in a misaligned solution.
- Balance budget and DR requirements by finding the right mix of DR solutions. For example, use a hybrid co-lo/IaaS to reduce hardware costs while ensuring appropriate capacity when needed.
- Don’t assume cloud is cheaper. Cost will depend on your specific workloads and use case.
Impact and Result
- Define a comprehensive set of requirements at the start of the project. DR solutions are long-term commitments, and mistakes in planning will be amplified during implementation.
- Analyze the pros/cons of each DR option and identify a DR solution that balances your budget and DR requirements.
- Integrate key insights from a variety of organizations that have implemented a DR solution.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should evaluate DR deployment models, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Conduct requirements gathering
DR solutions are long-term commitments; do it right the first time by conducting a comprehensive requirements gathering process.
Evaluate potential DR solutions
Analyze the merits of each potential DR solution and conduct a fit assessment.
Design a best-fit DR strategy
Document the DR strategy and communicate the results to management.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Requirements Gathering
- Determine the DR requirements of critical applications.
- Define the risks that your current IT environment is exposed to and translate them into requirements for the DR solution.
- Evaluate the current state of your DR solution through a SWOT analysis.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Defined criticality rating for each application.
- Documentation of key DR solution requirements based on risk scenarios.
- Evaluated the strengths of your current state and leveraged them to take advantage of available opportunities.
Define applications and dependencies
- Business Impact Analysis
Define applications’ criticality
Identify risk scenarios
Prioritize risks through a Risk Catalog
- Risk Catalog
Module 2: Evaluate Potential DR Solutions
- Analyze the benefits and drawbacks of a variety of DR options.
- Conduct a thorough cost analysis for each DR option.
- Identify how each DR option impacts your organization.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Comprehensive review of each DR option and identification of how each option fits with your organization.
- Ensure long-term value of your DR solution by comparing the TCO model for each DR solution.
- Prioritize each DR solution and identify the best-fit solution.
Review the pros/cons of each DR option.
Determine TCO for each DR option.
- TCO Comparison Tool
Conduct Force Field Analyses.
Prioritize and rank DR options.
- Decision Matrix
Module 3: Design a Best-Fit DR Strategy
- Synthesize key insights from other organizations who have planned and implemented a DR solution.
- Define the requirements for a bulletproof DR solution.
- Present key insights to management.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Avoid common mistakes and leverage best practices to define your tailored DR solution.
- Determine the considerations for a bulletproof DR solution.
- Gain executive buy-in by demonstrating the long-term benefits of a tailored DR solution.
Document your DR solution.
- DR solution document
Create the Executive Communication Presentation.
- Executive Communication Tool