- Eden Watt, Vice President, Application Innovation, Able-One Systems, Inc.
- Geoff Temple, Manager of Application Development, Children’s Aid Society of Toronto.
- Plus 3 anonymous contributors
- Business agility is essential to stay competitive. However, the application portfolio of many organizations cannot sufficiently support the flexibility and efficiency the business needs because of legacy challenges.
- Organizations are looking for ways to modernize their applications but want to develop options without introducing additional risks.
- Legacy applications may not be the right modernization candidates. Modernization candidates present the biggest risk to the growth and operation of the organization, even if they are supported with modern technologies.
- Business capabilities can be extended with modernization. New technologies can create new opportunities for business agility and resilience to changing market conditions.
- Status quo is a viable option. Avoid introducing new business and technical risks and costs if the anticipated benefits cannot justify your modernization options.
Impact and Result
- Justify the necessity for modernization: Gauge the alignment of your application portfolio to business and technical drivers and evaluate your portfolio’s influence from external factors (e.g. changes in laws and industry frameworks, evolving technologies) in order to strengthen your choice of an application for modernization.
- Reveal the risks and constraints of modernization: Diagnose the composition and dependencies of your application to reveal existing capability, process, UI, code, data, integration, and infrastructure constraints, opportunities, and issues.
- Communicate the business and technical goals of modernization: Effectively explain the risks, benefits, costs, and plans to your modernization stakeholders for buy-in. Create modernization alternatives that satisfy business and technical drivers but abide to the business and technical constraints identified in your application diagnostic.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Define the drivers for modernization
Call #1 - Review the outcomes of your previous application rationalization project.
Call #2 - Discuss the business and technical drivers, and external factors that are motivating you to modernize your application.
Guided Implementation #2 - Define and assess modernization alternatives
Call #1 - Discuss the issues, constraints, and opportunities of your selected application to modernize.
Call #2 - Assess the viability of the various modernization alternatives.
Guided Implementation #3 - Complete the case
Call #1 - Review your modernization plan and metrics to gauge success.
Call #2 - Review your approach to tailor and present your business case to stakeholders.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Define the Drivers for Modernization
- Evaluate your application portfolio assessment to shortlist applications to modernize.
- Gauge the alignment of your application shortlist to business and technical drivers and the resilience to external factors in order to select the ideal modernization candidate.
Key Benefits Achieved
- The selection of an application to modernize justified by application rationalization and its satisfaction of high-priority business and technical drivers.
Define the business drivers behind your modernization initiative.
- Current state health of application portfolio
- List of business drivers motivating modernization
Define the technical drivers behind your modernization initiative.
- List of technical drivers motivating modernization
Understand the external factors influencing your modernization initiative.
- List of factors beyond your control motivating modernization
Select your modernization candidate.
- Selection of an application modernization candidate
Module 2: Define and Assess Modernization Alternatives
- Reveal the current issues, constraints, and modernization opportunities of the selected application with a diagnostic.
- Design modernization alternatives based on the results of your diagnostic.
- Complete an impact, cost-benefit, and risk assessment to select the ideal alternative to leverage.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Designing multiple options for modernization that accommodate the business and technical complexities of the application. Justification behind the selection of a modernization alternative based on risks, costs, and impacts.
Diagnose your application.
- List of application issues, constraints, and opportunities
Develop application modernization alternatives.
- Application modernization alternatives
Conduct a cost-benefit analysis of your modernization alternatives.
- Cost-benefit analysis of alternatives
Complete a risk assessment of your modernization alternatives.
- Risk assessment of alternatives
Select a modernization alternative to recommend.
- Selection of a recommended alternative
Module 3: Complete the Case
- Build a plan to define milestones and roll out application modernization initiative.
- Identify project stakeholders in order to tailor the business case to their language and to ensure their expectations are met.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A completed business case tailored to the stakeholder’s language that contains the relevant information the stakeholder needs to make an informed decision.
Create your application modernization plan.
- Application modernization plan
Define your modernization project metrics.
- Project metrics to gauge success
Recognize your project stakeholders.
- List of project stakeholders
Finalize and monitor your business case.
- Completed business case and presentation document
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.