- Brenda Peshak, Program Manager, Widget Industries, LLC
- Sandy Minners, Vice President, Information Technology, American Bankers Association
- Jasvinder Sokhey, Portfolio Solution Architect, Scotiabank
- 5 anonymous contributors
- Application modernization is essential to stay competitive and productive in today’s digital environment. Your stakeholders have outlined their digital business goals that IT is expected to meet.
- Your application portfolio cannot sufficiently support the flexibility and efficiency the business needs because of legacy challenges.
- Your teams do not have a framework to illustrate, communicate, and justify the modernization effort and organizational changes in the language your stakeholders understand.
- Build your digital applications around continuous modernization. End-user needs, technology, business direction, and regulations rapidly change in today’s competitive and fast-paced industry. This reality will quickly turn your modern applications into shelfware. Build continuous modernization at the center of your digital application vision to keep up with evolving business, end-user, and IT needs.
- Application modernization is organizational change management. If you build and modernize it, they may not come. The crux of successful application modernization is centered on the strategic, well-informed, and onboarded adoption of changes in key business areas, capabilities, and processes. Organizational change management must be front and center so that applications are fit for purpose and are something that end users want and need to use.
- Business-IT collaboration is not optional. Application modernization will not be successful if your lines of business (LOBs) and IT are not working together. IT must empathize how LOBs operate and proactively support the underlying operational systems. LOBs must be accountable for all products leveraging modern technologies and be able to rationalize the technical feasibility of their digital application vision.
Impact and Result
- Establish the digital application vision. Gain a grounded understanding of the digital application construct and prioritize these attributes against your digital business goals.
- Define your modernization approach. Obtain a thorough view of your business and technical complexities, risks, and impacts. Employ the right modernization techniques based on your organization’s change tolerance.
- Build your roadmap. Clarify the organizational changes needed to support modernization and adoption of your digital applications.
This guided implementation is an eight call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Set your vision
Call #1 - Discuss Info-Tech’s perspectives.
Call #2 - Review your digital application vision and modernization objectives.
Call #3 - Review your modernization principles.
Guided Implementation #2 - Identify your modernization opportunities
Call #1 - Discuss opportunities to streamline business operations with modern technologies.
Call #2 - Review the change tolerance of your application system and ideal approach to modernization.
Guided Implementation #3 - Plan your modernization
Call #1 - Understand the range of modernization techniques to implement.
Call #2 - Review your modernization roadmap and suggest improvements.
Call #3 - Discuss next steps and rollout.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Set Your Vision
- Discuss the goals of your application modernization initiatives
- Define your digital application vision and priorities
- List your modernization principles
Key Benefits Achieved
- Clear application modernization objectives and high priority value items
- Your digital application vision and attributes
- Key principles that will guide your application modernization initiatives
State Your Objectives
- Application modernization objectives
Characterize Your Digital Application
- Digital application vision and attributes definitions
Define Your Modernization Principles
- List of application modernization principles and guidelines
Module 2: Identify Your Modernization Opportunities
- Identify the value streams and business capabilities that will benefit the most from application modernization
- Conduct a change tolerance assessment
- Build your modernization strategic roadmap
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of the value delivery improvements modernization can bring
- Recognizing the flexibility and tolerance of your organization to adopt changes
- Select an approach that best fits your organization’s goals and capacity
Identify the Opportunities
- Value streams and business capabilities that are ideal modernization opportunities
Define Your Modernization Approach
- Your modernization strategic roadmap based on your change tolerance and modernization approach
Module 3: Plan Your Modernization
- Identify the most appropriate modernization technique and the scope of changes to implement your techniques
- Develop an actionable tactical roadmap to complete your modernization initiatives
Key Benefits Achieved
- Clear understanding of what must be changed to the organization and application considering your change tolerance
- An achievable modernization plan
Shortlist Your Modernization Techniques
- Scope of your application modernization initiatives
Roadmap Your Modernization Initiatives
- Your modernization tactical roadmap
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.