- Benjamin Palacio, Senior Information Systems Analyst, County of Placer
- Matt Rowley, Partner, Wipfli LLP
- Three anonymous contributors
- Today’s rapidly scaling and increasingly complex products create mounting pressure on delivery teams to release new features and changes quickly and with sufficient quality.
- Many organizations see BizDevOps as a solution to help meet this demand. However, they often lack the critical cross-functional collaboration and team-sport culture that are critical for success.
- The industry provides little consensus and guidance on how to prepare for the transition to BizDevOps.
- BizDevOps is cultural, not driven by tools. It is about delivering high-quality and valuable releases to stakeholders through collective ownership, continuous collaboration, and team-first behaviors supported by tools.
- BizDevOps begins with a strong foundation in five key areas. The crux of successful BizDevOps is centered on the strategic adoption and optimization of building great requirements, collaborative practices, iterative delivery, application management, and high-fidelity environments.
- Teams take STOCK of what it takes to collaborate effectively. Teams and stakeholders must show up, trust the delivery method and people, orchestrate facilitated activities, clearly communicate and knowledge share every time they collaborate.
Impact and Result
- Bring the right people to the table. BizDevOps brings significant organizational, process and technology changes to improve delivery effectiveness. Include the key roles in the definition and validation of your BizDevOps vision and practices.
- Focus on the areas that matter. Review your current circumstances and incorporate the right practices that addresses your key challenges and blockers to becoming BizDevOps.
- Build your BizDevOps playbook. Gain a broad understanding of the key plays and practices that makes a successful BizDevOps organization. Verify and validate these practices in order to tailor them to your context. Keep your playbook live.
This guided implementation is a six call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Get started with BizDevOps
Call #1 - Discuss Info-Tech’s perspective
Call #2 - Review your BizDevOps objectives and vision
Call #3 - Discuss the starting point with BizDevOps adoption
Guided Implementation #2 - Tailor your BizDevOps playbook
Call #1 - Discuss the various plays that makes a team effective
Call #2 - Review your BizDevOps playbook draft and suggest improvements
Call #3 - Discuss next steps and rollout
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Set Your Expectations
- Discuss the goals of your BizDevOps playbook.
- Identify the various perspectives who should be included in the BizDevOps discussion.
- Level set expectations of your BizDevOps implementation.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Identification of the key roles who should be included in the BizDevOps discussion.
- Learning of key practices to support your BizDevOps vision and goals.
- Your vision of BizDevOps in your organization.
- Your BizDevOps definition
Understand your key stakeholders.
- List of BizDevOps stakeholders
Define your objectives.
- BizDevOps vision and objectives
Module 2: Set the Context
- Understand the various methods to initiate the structuring of facilitated collaboration.
- Share a common way of thinking and behaving with a set of principles.
- Focus BizDevOps adoption on key areas of software product delivery.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A chosen collaboration method (Scrum, Kanban, Scrumban) to facilitate collaboration
- A mutually understanding and beneficial set of guiding principles
- Areas where BizDevOps will see the most benefit
Select your foundation method.
- Chosen collaboration model
Define your guiding principles.
- List of guiding principles
Focus on the areas that matter.
- High-level assessment of delivery practices and its fit for BizDevOps
Module 3: Tailor Your BizDevOps Playbook
- Review the good practices within Info-Tech’s BizDevOps Playbook.
- Tailor your playbook to reflect your circumstances.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of the key plays involved in product delivery
- Product delivery plays that reflect the challenges and opportunities of your organization and support your BizDevOps vision
Review and tailor the plays in your playbook
- High-level discussion of key product delivery plays and its optimization to support BizDevOps