- The Internet of Things (IoT) is a rapidly proliferating technology – connected devices have experienced unabated growth over the last ten years.
- The business wants to capitalize on the IoT and move the needle forward for proactive customer service and operational efficiency.
- Moreover, IT wants to maintain its reputation as forward-thinking, and the business wants to be innovative.
- Leverage Info-Tech’s comprehensive three-phase approach to IoT projects: understand the fundamentals of IoT capabilities, assess where the IoT will drive value within the organization, and present findings to stakeholders.
- Conduct a foundational IoT discussion with stakeholders to level set expectations about the technology’s capabilities.
- Determine your organization’s approach to the IoT in terms of both hardware and software.
- Determine which use case your organization fits into: three of the use cases highlighted in this report include predictive customer service, smart offices, and supply chain applications.
Impact and Result
- Our methodology addresses the possible issues by using a case-study approach to demonstrate the “Art of the Possible” for the IoT.
- With an understanding of the IoT, it is possible to find applicable use cases for this emerging technology and get a leg up on competitors.
This guided implementation is a nine call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Understand core IoT use cases
Call #1 - Introduce the history and benefits of IoT technology.
Call #2 - Understand how the IoT is being applied in different industries to drive value.
Guided Implementation #2 - Build the business case for IoT applications
Call #1 - Discuss your business’ operating model and pain points to brainstorm a use case.
Call #2 - Assess your business architecture to determine whether to advance your use case.
Call #3 - Review the transformative potential of the IoT and what it means to your organization.
Guided Implementation #3 - Present IoT initiatives to stakeholders
Call #1 - Review the alignment between business value and execution complexity.
Call #2 - Discuss how to present the decision to stakeholders.
Call #3 - Discuss the next steps for kicking off your IoT initiative.
Call #4 - Review vendors and development platforms in the IoT marketplace.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.