- Alex Mayhew, Co-Founder, Impossible Things Inc.
- Geof Wheelwright, Director of Marketing, Ahteer
- Jennifer Richey, Chief Strategy Officer, Gravity Jack
- Steven Aukstakalnis, Author, Practical Augmented Reality
- Steven Shew, Co-Founder, Battleverse
- Anonymous Contributors
- Augmented reality is a new technology and use cases are still emerging. Organizations have to work hard to stay ahead of the curve and predict how they will be impacted.
- There are limited off-the-shelf augmented reality solutions in terms of business applications. IT not only needs to understand the emerging augmented reality hardware, but also the plethora of development platforms.
- Augmented reality presents a new avenue to solve problems that cannot be addressed efficiently with existing technology. It is a new tool that will impact the way you work.
- Beyond addressing existing problems, augmented reality will provide the ability to differently execute business processes. Current processes have been designed with existing systems and capabilities in mind. Augmented reality impacts organizational design processes that are more complex.
- As a technology with an evolving set of use cases, IT and the business must anticipate some of the challenges that may arise with the use of augmented reality (e.g. health and safety, application development, regulatory).
Impact and Result
- Our methodology addresses the possible issues by using a case-study approach to demonstrate the “art of the possible” for augmented reality.
- With an understanding of augmented reality, it is possible to find applicable use cases for this emerging technology and get a leg up on competitors.
- By utilizing Info-Tech’s Augmented Reality Use Case Picklist and the Augmented Reality Stakeholder Presentation Template, the IT team and their business stakeholders can confidently approach augmented reality adoption.
This guided implementation is a nine call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - What is augmented reality?
Call #1 - Introduce the history and benefits of AR technology.
Call #2 - Understand how AR is being applied in different industries to drive value.
Guided Implementation #2 - What can AR do for your organization?
Call #1 - Discuss your business’ operating model and pain points to brainstorm a use case.
Call #2 - Assess your business architecture to determine whether to advance your use case.
Call #3 - Review the transformative potential of AR and what it means to your organization.
Guided Implementation #3 - Present AR initiative to stakeholders
Call #1 - Review the alignment between business value and execution complexity.
Call #2 - Discuss how to present the decision to stakeholders.
Call #3 - Discuss the next steps for kicking off your AR initiative.
Call #4 - Review vendors and development platforms in the AR marketplace.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Understand Augmented Reality and Its Use Cases
- Understand the fundamentals of augmented reality technology and its real-world business applications.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A prioritized list of augmented reality use cases.
Introduce augmented reality technology.
- An understanding of the history and current state of augmented reality technology.
Understand augmented reality use cases.
- An understanding of “the art of the possible” for augmented reality.
Review augmented reality case studies.
- An enhanced understanding of augmented reality.
Module 2: Conduct an Environmental Scan and Internal Review
- Examine where the organization stands in the current competitive environment.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of what is needed from an augmented reality initiative to differentiate your organization from its competitors.
Environmental analysis (PEST+SWOT).
- An understanding of the internal and external propensity for augmented reality.
- An understanding of comparable organizations’ approach to augmented reality.
Listing of interaction channels and disposition.
- A chart with the disposition of each interaction channel and its applicability to augmented reality.
Module 3: Parse Critical Technology Drivers
- Determine which business processes will be affected by augmented reality.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understanding of critical technology drivers and their KPIs.
Identify affected process domains.
- A list of affected process domains.
Brainstorm impacts of augmented reality on workflow enablement.
Distill critical technology drivers.
- An awareness of critical technology drivers for the augmented reality initiative.
Identify KPIs for each driver.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.