- Ady Degany, CEO, Velostrata
- Corey Fruitman, Founder & CEO, Instant Housecall
- Jeremy Johnson, President, Cloudversify
- Emilio Chemali, MRE Consulting
- The application may have been written a long time ago, and have source code, knowledge base, or design principles misplaced or lacking, which makes it difficult to understand the design and build.
- The development team does not have a standardized practice for assessing cloud benefits and architecture, design principles for redesigning an application, or performing capacity for planning activities.
- An infrastructure-driven cloud strategy overlooks application specific complexities. Ensure that an application portfolio strategy is a precursor to determining the business value gained from an application perspective, not just an infrastructure perspective.
- Business value assessment must be the core of your decision to migrate and justify the development effort.
- Right-size your application to predict future usage and minimize unplanned expenses. This ensures that you are truly benefiting from the tier costing model that vendors offer.
Impact and Result
- Identify and evaluate what cloud benefits your application can leverage and the business value generated as a result of migrating your application to the cloud.
- Use Info-Tech’s approach to building a robust application that can leverage scalability, availability, and performance benefits while maintaining the functions and features that the application currently supports for the business.
- Standardize and strengthen your performance testing practices and capacity planning activities to build a strong current state assessment.
- Use Info-Tech’s elaboration of the 12-factor app to build a clear and robust cloud profile and target state for your application.
- Leverage Info-Tech’s cloud requirements model to assess the impact of cloud on different requirements patterns.
This guided implementation is a five call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Create Your Cloud Application Profile
Call #1 - Discuss the benefits for your organization specifically from migrating the application to the cloud, and evaluate the functionalities and capabilities set forth by the business.
Call #2 - Discuss how the business needs and demands can be translated to cloud features and architectures and what it means for your application to operate in the cloud.
Call #3 - Discuss the importance of capacity planning and collecting baselining metrics for your application.
Guided Implementation #2 - Evaluate Design Changes for Your Application
Call #1 - Discuss which design principles are relevant when redesigning your application to fit a cloud-friendly profile.
Call #2 - Discuss the importance and relevance of requirements and how they are impacted by the cloud specific to your application.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.