Choose a Consumerization Strategy
Find the right path for your organization.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- Pressure to bring consumer devices and applications into the organization has mounted in recent years. Users (some of whom are business executives) continue to bring devices and apps into the workplace despite limited organizational readiness.
- 'Gatekeepers' in IT, and elsewhere in the organization, express reservations about adoption of consumer technology. The CIO must address these legitimate concerns to proceed effectively.
- The business case for consumer technology remains somewhat uncertain, making it difficult for CIOs to access funding for their chosen adoption strategy.
- A ‘limited’ strategy for consumerization adoption allows the CIO to address the demands of most users in an affordable, secure way. This strategy limits the range of functionality to email, calendar, and apps. It is an attractive option for the CIO who wants to make the minimum possible investment in consumerization.
- CIOs should always weigh the benefits of a more open strategy for adoption, which allows for access to business data from consumer devices. The assessment of whether to proceed should look at organizational needs as well as organizational capabilities that can facilitate the adoption.
- Elements of the strategy include policy (for consumer devices and unmanaged apps), budget, and reimbursement. All elements of the strategy must line up for the strategy to succeed.
Impact and Result
- Make sure you don't leave money on the table by having a knee-jerk, defensive reaction.
- Go from reactive to proactive: turn consumerization to your advantage.
- Alberta Finance and Enterprise
- Bayshore Home Health
- City of Elliott Lake
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- North Central Texas Council of Governments
- Pembina Trails School Division
- Resource International
- An additional 13 companies contributed to this research. Due to the sensitivity of the information, their identities will be kept confidential.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Learn about the options for consumerization adoption
Take the right steps to adopt consumerization.
Learn about current trends in consumerization of IT
Prepare the enterprise for things to come.
Review a consumerization success story
Learn key lessons for your own adoption.
Measure organizational and situational characteristics
Choose the right path for the organization.
Assess the outcome of the consumerization pilot
Determine whether you should proceed with a full-scale adoption.
Improve Value & Mitigate Risk through IT Governance
Establish an Effective IT Steering Committee
Make IT a Partner in Successful M&A Due Diligence
Develop Successful Strategies for Budget Planning, Proposal, and Negotiation
Plan for Application Consolidation
Define an IT Strategy and Roadmap
Covertly Establish a Business-Centric, Value-Driven EA Capability
Build a Business-Driven IT Risk Management Program
Create a Corporate Personal Cloud Vision in Two Days
Implement and Optimize Application Integration Governance
Make the Case for the Hybrid IT Operating Model
Develop a Position on Cloud Platform as a Service
Develop a Cloud Testing Strategy for Today's Apps
Develop a Cloud Consumption Strategy
Manage the Application Lifecycle
Prepare for a Successful IT Strategy
Optimize Security Operations without Overspending
Cut PCI Compliance and Audit Costs in Half
Establish an Effective System of Internal IT Controls to Mitigate Risks
Create a Cloud-Enabled IT Organization
Establish an Effective PMO for IT
Transfer IT Knowledge Before It’s Gone
Capitalize on Emerging Trends to Improve Supply Chain Management
Take a Portfolio Approach to Policy Management
Survive an Impending Audit
Align IT with the Real End Customer
Establish the Benefits Realization Process
Focus on Project Management Essentials
Tailor an IT Governance Plan to Fit Organizational Needs
Craft a Cloud Strategy for the Enterprise Database
Move Email to the Cloud
Adopt 10 Universal Enterprise Architecture Principles
Develop a Cloud Storage Strategy
Use IT Metrics for Accountability and Success
Optimize IT Decision-Making
Navigate the IT Stakeholder Landscape
Get IT in Line with Organizational Needs
Build a Culture of IT Innovation
Institutionalize Innovation through IT
Create an IT Sourcing Strategy
Choose a Consumerization Strategy
Take Control of Compliance Improvement to Conquer Every Audit
Inspire an IT-Led Revolution
Make IT a Successful Partner in M&A Integration
2016 CIO Trend Report
Create a Customer-Centric Digital Strategy
Revive Your Risk Management Program With a Regular Health Check
Comply with the Security Requirements of HIPAA or SOX
Simplify and Optimize Your IT Operating Model
Successfully Manage Shadow IT
Create a Comprehensive Digital Operating Model
TL;DR? Simplify Your IT Policies
Become a Transformational CIO