- Organizations often misunderstand the need to properly govern the process for asset management, as they overestimate the functionality of automated discovery tools. Without processes in place that integrate to the services team handling assets, data will quickly become inaccurate.
- There is often confusion between processes around hardware, software, cloud management, and configuration management.
- ITAM is a cornerstone program. ITAM’s real value doesn’t emerge from compliance; it comes from the strengthening of other IT services.
- Don’t just wait for the knock on the door; make sure it rarely happens. Proactive asset management can prevent a software audit from happening.
- Treat ITAM like a process, not a project. ITAM is a dynamic process that must react and adapt to the needs of the business.
Impact and Result
- Break down the projects into more manageable sections and understand how the data will be used and where it comes from.
- Hardware, software, and cloud asset management are all managed differently, and sometimes with different teams, but all require data to be consolidated.
- Involve anyone handling assets in the process, to ensure they’re participating in the asset management solution.
- Pace yourself: It’s tempting to tackle everything at once, but a staged implementation will make your asset program a success.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.