- Organizations often misunderstand the need to properly govern the process for asset management, as they overestimate the functionality of automated discovery tools. Without processes in place that integrate to the services team handling assets, data will quickly become inaccurate.
- There is often confusion between processes around hardware, software, cloud management, and configuration management.
- ITAM is a cornerstone program. ITAM’s real value doesn’t emerge from compliance; it comes from the strengthening of other IT services.
- Don’t just wait for the knock on the door; make sure it rarely happens. Proactive asset management can prevent a software audit from happening.
- Treat ITAM like a process, not a project. ITAM is a dynamic process that must react and adapt to the needs of the business.
Impact and Result
- Break down the projects into more manageable sections and understand how the data will be used and where it comes from.
- Hardware, software, and cloud asset management are all managed differently, and sometimes with different teams, but all require data to be consolidated.
- Involve anyone handling assets in the process, to ensure they’re participating in the asset management solution.
- Pace yourself: It’s tempting to tackle everything at once, but a staged implementation will make your asset program a success.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real-time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this blueprint and what our clients have to say.