You have a mandate to create an accurate and actionable database of the IT assets in your environment, but:
- The data you have is often incomplete or wrong.
- Processes are broken or non-existent.
- Your tools aren’t up to the task of tracking ever more hardware, software, and relevant metadata.
- The role of stakeholders outside the core ITAM team isn’t well defined or understood.
ITAM is a foundational IT service that provides accurate, accessible, actionable data on IT assets. But there’s no value in data for data’s sake. Enable collaboration between IT asset managers, business leaders, and IT leaders to develop an ITAM strategy that maximizes the value they can deliver as service providers.
Impact and Result
- Develop an approach and strategy for ITAM that is sustainable and aligned with your business priorities.
- Clarify the structure for the ITAM program, including scope, responsibility and accountability, centralization vs. decentralization, outsourcing vs. insourcing, and more.
- Create a practical roadmap to guide improvement.
- Summarize your strategy and approach using Info-Tech’s templates for review with stakeholders.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real-time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this blueprint and what our clients have to say.
Average $ Saved
Average Days Saved
Learners will have started to develop some of the key elements of a successful IT asset management practice.
All of our Info-Tech Academy courses have closed captioning available. To turn this function on, click on the C.C. in the bottom right corner of the video screen and click "English" on the options that pop-up.
- Course Modules: 8
- Estimated Completion Time: 1 hour
- Featured Analysts:
- Andrew Sharp, Research Director, Infrastructure & Operations
Workshop: Develop an IT Asset Management Strategy
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Identify ITAM Priorities & Goals, Maturity, Metrics and KPIs
- Align key stakeholders to the potential strategic value of the IT asset management practice.
- Ensure the ITAM practice is focused on business-aligned goals.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Define a business-aligned direction and expected outcomes for your ITAM program.
Brainstorm ITAM opportunities and challenges.
- ITAM opportunities and challenges
Conduct an executive alignment working session.
- Align executive priorities with ITAM opportunities.
Set ITAM priorities, goals and tactics.
- ITAM metrics and KPIs
Identify target and current state ITAM maturity.
- ITAM maturity
Module 2: Identify Your Approach to Support ITAM Priorities and Goals
- Translate goals into specific and coherent actions to enable your ITAM practice to deliver business value.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A business-aligned approach to ITAM, encompassing scope, structure, tools, audits, budgets, documentation and more.
- A high-level roadmap to achieve your vision for the ITAM practice.
Define ITAM scope.
Acquire ITAM services (outsourcing and contracting).
Centralize or decentralize ITAM capabilities.
Create a RACI for the ITAM practice.
Align ITAM with other service management practices.
Evaluate ITAM tools and integrations.
Create a plan for internal and external audits.
Improve your budget processes.
Establish a documentation framework.
- Your ITAM approach
Create a roadmap and communication plan.
- ITAM roadmap and communication plan