Vendor Landscape: Collaboration Platform
Stop! Collaborate and listen…to the rapidly changing collaboration marketplace!
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
Last Revised: September 21, 2012
RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
View Vendor Shortlist
What is a shortlist?
A shortlist is a personalized list of vendors based on the criteria you define. Your shortlist offers more information about vendor's strengths, weaknesses, price-points, etc, and ranks them according to your needs.
What is a Value Score?
The Value Score indexes each vendor’s product offering and business strength relative to their price point. It does not indicate vendor ranking.
Vendors that score high offer more bang for the buck (e.g. features, usability, stability, etc.) than the average vendor, while the inverse is true for those that score lower.
Price-conscious enterprises may wish to give the Value Score more consideration than those who are more focused on specific vendor/product attributes.
- The adoption of collaboration platforms is rapidly accelerating. Not all platforms are created equal, and choosing the right platform can be a daunting task in a market with many emerging new features and shifting delivery options.
- Choosing the wrong platform is a costly mistake for any organization, not just in terms of the time and money wasted on the platform, but also from the failure of the platform to meet business needs.
- This solution set will help you understand and identify collaboration opportunities that exist within your organization, identify leading vendors and compare capabilities, and select the right solution to implement.
- The rise of social collaboration features has fundamentally altered the collaboration landscape – vendors now offer social media equivalents for enterprise use, alongside more traditional collaboration functionality like content management. The rise of these features is a relatively recent phenomenon. Info-Tech recommends that organizations take advantage of this new functionality to enhance internal collaboration.
- The market is also being disrupted by the rise of ubiquitous mobile access, cloud-based storage solutions, and freemium products that allow you to try before you buy.
- Selecting a collaboration platform involves defining the organization’s functional requirements, creating a shortlist based on these requirements, formally evaluating vendor offerings, and choosing the platform that is best tailored to the organization’s unique circumstances.
Impact and Result
- Understand the features and business benefits of using a collaboration platform, where the market evolved from, and where it is going.
- Plan and select a collaboration solution that brings distributed people and information together to get more done in less time.
- Use Info-Tech's Vendor Landscape to compare the major collaboration platforms available and prepare a vendor shortlist, saving time and money in the selection process.
- Use Info-Tech's collaboration platform RFP template and demo scripts to prepare solid requirements for vendor finalists and select the right product.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Narrow down a list of collaboration vendors
Create a strong list of vendor candidates.
Compare leading vendors and develop a shortlist
Narrow the leading vendors down to the most appropriate few.
Contrast and evaluate a shortlist of vendors
Select the right collaboration platform vendor.