- A lack of high-skill labor increases the cost of internal security, making outsourcing more appealing.
- It is unclear what processes could or should be outsourced versus what functions should remain in-house.
- It is not feasible to have 24/7/365 monitoring in-house for most firms.
- You are outsourcing support, not accountability, unless you preface that with your customer.
- For most of you, you won’t have a choice – you’ll have to outsource high-end security skills to meet future needs.
- Third-party service providers may be able to more effectively remediate threats because of their large, disparate customer base and wider scope.
Impact and Result
- Documented obligations and processes. This will allow you to determine which solution (outsourcing vs. insourcing) allows for the best use of resources, and maintains your brand reputation.
- A list of variables and features to rank potential third-party providers vs. internal delivery to find which solution provides the best fit for your organization.
- Current limitations of your environment and the limitations of third parties identified for the environments you are looking to mature.
- Security responsibilities determined that can be outsourced, and which should be outsourced in order to gain resource allocation and effectiveness, and to improve your overall security posture.
- The limitations or restrictions for third-party usage understood.
This guided implementation is an eight call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - What to outsource
Call #1 - Assess your responsibilities to determine which ones you can outsource
Call #2 - Determine your ideal cost savings and benefits from outsourcing
Call #3 - Perform costing analysis and evaluate each responsibility
Guided Implementation #2 - How to outsource
Call #1 - Understand the third-PP market and determine what variables to evaluate the third-PPs on
Call #2 - Identify which features to look for in an MSSP and create a third-PP shortlist
Call #3 - Evaluate and rank the third-PPs
Guided Implementation #3 - Manage your third-party provider
Call #1 - Create a metrics program and understand how to align your third-PP to your organization
Call #2 - Create a third-PP management process
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.