Develop IT Staff Capabilities
Look to staff development as an essential win-win investment, not a discretionary luxury.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- IT professionals must be aware of five emerging trends that are changing the IT skills landscape: mobility, cloud, big data, social media, and security.
- Training is needed to acquire these skills if IT is to effectively maximize the company’s technology investments.
- Each of the five trends requires a specific training tactic.
- Gauge training effectiveness using increases in employee performance and morale.
- Integrate training with performance management to hold IT staff accountable for applying the skills and knowledge taught in training sessions to their roles.
- A training plan must be well-executed to improve both organizational performance and employee engagement.
Impact and Result
- A well-defined training program addresses key skill set gaps so required skills will be readily available for use on business initiatives.
- Training opportunities will help to maintain currency on business-critical technologies, whether this is a deeper understanding of existing technologies or preparation for new technologies.
- Training will help maintain adequate levels of performance during periods of business and technology change.
- Dale Cobble, PTRC
- Pedro Petrus, Transnet
- Number of individuals who completed a survey: 91 Professionals contributed information that assisted with the development of this solution set.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Put a comprehensive training plan in place for permanent staff
Improve weak performance and staff engagement, and maintain adequate performance and engagement during periods of significant change.
Develop a training business case
Select the appropriate delivery vehicle for common training requirements and estimate the investment required.