- IT professionals must be aware of five emerging trends that are changing the IT skills landscape: mobility, cloud, big data, social media, and security.
- Training is needed to acquire these skills if IT is to effectively maximize the company’s technology investments.
- Each of the five trends requires a specific training tactic.
- Gauge training effectiveness using increases in employee performance and morale.
- Integrate training with performance management to hold IT staff accountable for applying the skills and knowledge taught in training sessions to their roles.
- A training plan must be well-executed to improve both organizational performance and employee engagement.
Impact and Result
- A well-defined training program addresses key skill set gaps so required skills will be readily available for use on business initiatives.
- Training opportunities will help to maintain currency on business-critical technologies, whether this is a deeper understanding of existing technologies or preparation for new technologies.
- Training will help maintain adequate levels of performance during periods of business and technology change.