- Spending on cloud platforms and software-as-a-service (SaaS) is growing, and with spending comes waste.
- The barriers are drastically lower for purchasing SaaS and cloud services as compared to traditional IT components.
- Skills gap: IT asset managers tend not to have the skills to optimize spending on cloud platforms.
- New space, new tools: The IT asset management market space is still developing cloud asset management and SaaS management capabilities. Practitioners must rely on cloud optimization tools in the meantime.
- IT asset managers are uniquely suited to provide value here. They already optimize costs and manage assets.
- Scope creep is a killer. Focus first on your highest value, highest risk cloud instances.
- Don’t completely centralize. Central oversight is powerful, but outsource some responsibility to the business.
Impact and Result
- Introduce governance: Work with developers, power business users, and infrastructure groups to define a governance approach to cloud assets and to SaaS.
- Standardize high-impact, low-effort cloud services: Focus your efforts where they will have the most value and in places where you can provide early value.
- Update your processes: Ensure that your asset registers and your configuration management database is up to date when cloud assets are provisioned and quiesced.
Onsite Workshop: Find Value With Cloud Asset Management
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Build a Cloud Asset Management Pilot
- Introduce governance to cloud instances and SaaS.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Standard operating procedures for cloud asset management.
Plot cloud instances based on impact of data loss and volatility.
Categorize cloud instances.
- Updated IT asset management SOP for cloud instances.
Define cloud standards for each part of the volume mixer.
- Standards for cloud instances.
Identify policy statements for cloud assets.
- Cloud policy statements.
Identify optimization schedule.
- Optimization guidelines for cloud instances.
Roles and responsibilities and roadmap.
- Responsibility matrix for cloud asset management.