Craft a Cloud Strategy for the Enterprise Database
There’s no cloud. There’s just the database.
- You want to leverage cloud deployments to reduce management costs, convert Capex to Opex, and enable scale on demand – all while only paying for resources when used.
- Enterprise database licensing, deployment, and maintenance are among the most complex and expensive activities in IT.
- Not all databases present a use case for a cloud deployment.
- The effort required to re-platform enterprise systems for the cloud can erode perceived savings.
- IT may not have the skills to deploy, integrate, and support enterprise systems in the cloud.
- Don’t focus on whether the cloud is ready for the database – identify whether each database workload is ready for the cloud.
- Identify database workloads to move to the cloud via a holistic cloud strategy; avoid an ad hoc approach that’s more expensive, time-consuming, and can leave you with blind spots.
- Look before you leap; identify risks and mitigation strategies associated with moving the enterprise database to the cloud.
- Vendors will be much more tightly integrated into your ability to deliver services. Review vendor best practices, and move from ad hoc vendor management to a defined process.
Impact and Result
- Break down the cloud strategy into digestible, concrete steps.
- Identify and mitigate risks to your database in a cloud computing environment before you migrate.
- Develop a consistent process for vendor management and database provisioning.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should craft a cloud strategy for the enterprise database, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Review the value opportunity for moving the database to the cloud
Document drivers and current cloud deployments in the enterprise. Select database workloads that are good candidates for a pilot deployment.
Document and mitigate cloud database risks
Identify risks and mitigation strategies, and develop a mitigation roadmap.
Complete the cloud database strategy
Create processes to make cloud database provisioning repeatable. Communicate the strategy to stakeholders.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Review the Value Opportunity
- Select database workloads that are good candidates for a pilot deployment.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Document the current state and select workloads for a deep dive in Phase 2.
Review cloud definitions and assess your current state.
- Identify drivers, champions, and potential workloads for this project.
Identify and prioritize use cases for cloud database deployment.
Assess value and readiness for cloud candidates.
- Use the Cloud Database Strategy Workbook to create a decision matrix and compare readiness and value.
Module 2: Document and Mitigate Cloud Database Risks
- Identify and rightsize risks.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Identify risks and mitigation strategies, and develop a mitigation roadmap.
Identify the risk to your deployment and develop a risk register.
- Create a risk register using the Cloud Database Strategy Workbook.
Develop mitigation strategies.
- Document mitigation strategies in the Cloud Database Strategy Workbook.
Evaluate mitigation strategies and develop a roadmap.
- Score, schedule, and prioritize mitigation strategies in the Cloud Database Strategy Risk Mitigation Roadmap.
Module 3: Complete the Cloud Database Strategy
- Establish vendor best practices, create repeatable processes, and document the strategy.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Create a plan for the future and communicate the cloud strategy.
Review vendors and contractual best practices.
- Translate mitigation strategies into vendor requirements.
Measure performance and total cost.
- Calculate TCO for the deployment using Info-Tech’s TCO calculator.
Develop SOPs and document strategy.
- Document and communicate the strategy using Info-Tech’s Executive Presentation and Project Charter for this blueprint.