Improve Value & Mitigate Risk through IT Governance
Take the guesswork out of IT decision-making.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- IT leaders are under considerable pressure to improve the business value of IT’s activities and decision-making. Clear IT investment and process goals, process measurement, repeatability and consistency, and compliance with internal corporate policies and external regulations are required to do so.
- IT struggles to get business support and involvement in IT governance issues.
- IT leaders must find ways to improve processes. These improvements require oversight and input from senior business and IT management to align IT decisions and activities with organizational goals to manage risk and deliver value.
- The business relies on IT to enable day-to-day operations and information access, yet less than 50% of senior management is involved in IT decision-making. IT stands alone when it comes to delivering IT value and decisions.
- Four major governance process areas (IT Investment, Project, Service Delivery, and Risk Management) are key to aligning IT decision-making, value delivery, and business strategy. Improving governance of these processes creates a culture of joint business and IT accountability for IT decision-making.
- IT leaders know improvements are needed, but they require tools and advice that will help them make the needed enhancements to critical decision-making processes.
Impact and Result
- Assess the organization’s ability to govern the four key process areas. IT leaders can determine where gaps exist, identify appropriate actions, create a roadmap for improving IT governance, and influence business decision makers to participate in IT governance.
- Identify the areas of greatest concern, as well as which process areas will benefit from better governance.
- Identify current governance structures for the four key governance process areas. Highlight gaps that exist between how IT decisions are made now and how they should be made.
- Create a roadmap to make the process improvements that will improve governance, provide better alignment with business goals, and enable better IT value delivery.
- Douglas Omaha Technology Commission
- City of London
- NWT Provincial Government
- Devon Kerr, IT Director, Peckar and Abramson
- Kindred Healthcare
- Tegrit Group
- Republic Bank Limited
- Navigant Consulting
- Hayes Management Consulting
- Intact Financial Group
- Department of Personnel Administration Government of California State
- LogicNet Training & Consulting Services Inc.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Implement IT Governance
Improve IT decision-making to justify IT investment and to achieve superior business results.
Assess implemented controls & checkpoints to ensure IT risk is understood and managed
Balance acceptable risk against expected value in all decisions related to IT activity.
Make joint IT/business decisions for prioritizing and allocating funding & resources to IT-enabled initiatives
Achieve maximum business value for discretionary IT investment.
Determine project progress, when to proceed through gates, and corrective actions for escalated issues
Improve project success through effective mitigation of issues and risks.
Evaluate system performance metrics & customer feedback to decide where to improve IT service
Ensure IT services are business-focused, reliable, and cost effective.
Create an IT Sourcing Strategy
Create a Customer-Centric Digital Strategy
Define an IT Strategy and Roadmap
Inspire an IT-Led Revolution
Align IT with the Real End Customer
Become a Transformational CIO
Make IT a Partner in Successful M&A Due Diligence
Make IT a Successful Partner in M&A Integration
Establish an Effective PMO for IT
Establish the Benefits Realization Process
Transfer IT Knowledge Before It’s Gone
Tailor an IT Governance Plan to Fit Organizational Needs
Build a Strong Approach to Business Requirements Gathering
Establish an Effective System of Internal IT Controls to Mitigate Risks
Establish an Effective IT Steering Committee
2016 CIO Trend Report
Prepare for a Successful IT Strategy
Optimize IT Decision-Making
Get IT in Line with Organizational Needs
Build a Culture of IT Innovation
Use IT Metrics for Accountability and Success
Institutionalize Innovation through IT
Create a Cloud-Enabled IT Organization
Simplify and Optimize Your IT Operating Model
Create a Comprehensive Digital Operating Model