- In respect to business intelligence (BI) matureness, you can’t expect the whole organization to be at the same place at the same time. Your BI strategy needs to recognize this and should strive to align rather than dictate.
- Technology is just one aspect of your BI and analytics strategy and is not a quick solution or a guarantee for long-term success.
- The BI strategy drives data warehouse and integration strategies and the data needed to support business decisions.
- The solution to better BI often lies in improving the BI practice, not acquiring the latest and greatest tool.
Impact and Result
- Align BI with corporate vision, mission, goals, and strategic direction.
- Understand the needs of business partners.
- BI & analytics informs data warehouse and integration layers for required content, latency, and quality.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real-time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this blueprint and what our clients have to say.
Average $ Saved
Average Days Saved
Business Intelligence & Reporting
Put the business back in business intelligence by injecting new BI use cases.
This course makes up part of the Data & BI Certificate.
- Course Modules: 4
- Estimated Completion Time: 2-2.5 hours
- Featured Analysts:
- Crystal Singh, Research Director, Applications Practice
- David Piazza, VP of Research & Advisory, Applications Practice
Onsite Workshop: Build a Reporting and Analytics Strategy
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Establish Business Vision and Understand the Current BI Landscape
- Document overall business vision, mission, and key objectives; assemble project team.
- Collect in-depth information around current BI usage and BI user perception.
- Create requirements gathering principles and gather requirements for a BI platform.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Increased IT–business alignment by using the business context as the project starting point
- Identified project sponsor and project team
- Detailed understanding of trends in BI usage and BI perception of consumers
- Refreshed requirements for a BI solution
Gather key business information (overall mission, goals, objectives, drivers).
- Articulated business context that will guide BI strategy development
Establish a high-level ROI.
- ROI for refreshing the BI strategy
Identify ideal candidates for carrying out a BI project.
- BI project team
Undertake BI usage analyses, BI user perception survey, and a BI artifact inventory.
- Comprehensive summary of current BI usage that has quantitative and qualitative perspectives
Develop requirements gathering principles and approaches.
- BI requirements are confirmed
Gather and organize BI requirements
Module 2: Evaluate Current BI Maturity and Identify the BI Patterns for the Future State
- Define current maturity level of BI practice.
- Envision the future state of your BI practice and identify desired BI patterns.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Know the correct migration method for Exchange Online.
- Prepare user profiles for the rest of the Office 365 implementation.
Perform BI SWOT analyses.
- Exchange migration strategy
Assess current state of the BI practice and review results.
- Current state of BI practice is documented from multiple perspectives
Create guiding principles for the future BI practice.
- Guiding principles for future BI practice are established, along with the desired BI patterns linked to functional requirements
Identify desired BI patterns and the associated BI functionalities/requirements.
Define the future state of the BI practice.
- Future BI practice is defined
Establish the critical success factors for the future BI, identify potential risks, and create a mitigation plan.
- Critical success factors, potential risks, and a risk mitigation plan are defined
Module 3: Build Improvement Initiatives and Create a BI Development Roadmap
- Build overall BI improvement initiatives and create a BI improvement roadmap.
- Identify supplementary initiatives for enhancing your BI program.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Defined roadmap composed of robust improvement initiatives
Create BI improvement initiatives based on outputs from phase 1 and 2 activities. Build an improvement roadmap.
- Comprehensive BI initiatives placed on an improvement roadmap
Build an improvement roadmap.
Create an Excel governance policy.
- Excel governance policy is created
Create a plan for a BI ambassador network.
- Internal BI ambassadors are identified