Implement Desktop Virtualization and Transition to Everything as a Service
From VDI to DaaS, desktop virtualization is back. Choose the right solution, then develop an implementation plan that balances user experience, infrastructure complexity, and total cost.
An undeveloped or non-existent desktop virtualization project strategy will result in:
- Dissatisfied end users
- Wasted money and resources
- Lack of documented processes that increase the chance for implementation failure
- No unified solution fit to end-user requirements
- Failure to implement and scale the desktop virtualization solution
A well-developed desktop virtualization project strategy will:
- Match the desktop virtualization method to specific use cases within the organization
- Avoid major pitfalls when implementing desktop virtualization
- Align desktop virtualization initiatives with end-user, business, and IT goals and objectives
- Reach the age of virtualization with support for access anytime, anywhere
Module 1: Launch Your Desktop Virtualization Project
- Identify the scope and objectives of the workshop.
- Identify the drivers behind your desktop virtualization project.
- Determine and prioritize the business, end-user, and IT project goals and success metrics.
- Understand the needs of end users to create user-group profiles.
- Explore which applications are critical to virtualize.
- Develop a high-level budget based on the estimated cost to deliver desktop virtualization.
- Understand the high level risks and how to mitigate them.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Determine workshop scope.
- Determine project resourcing.
- Evaluate your current environment: infrastructure, project drivers, and opportunities for improvement.
- Identify the goals and success metrics.
- Detailed creation of user-group profiles.
- Document the critical applications in your environment to virtualize.
- Outline a high-level budget for your desktop virtualization project.
- Create a list of risks and mitigation strategies for each.
- Match the user-groups to the appropriate desktop virtualization delivery method.
|1.1||Develop the scope and objectives of the workshop||
|1.2||Review the current state environment||
|1.3||Identify the drivers behind your desktop virtualization project||
|1.4||Determine the business, end-user, and IT project goals and success metrics||
|1.5||Understand the needs of end-users through a user-group profile creation and analysis||
|1.6||Determine desktop virtualization delivery method fit with user-group profiles||
|1.7||Inventory and analyze critical applications to virtualize||
|1.8||Determine the high-level budget and total cost of ownership (TCO)||
|1.9||Assess the high level risks and strategies to mitigate them||
Module 2: Analyze Virtual Desktop Requirements and Plan to Pilot the Solution
- Identify functional requirements for the organization’s desktop virtualization solution.
- Determine technical requirements for the organization’s backup solution.
- Assess the responses from vendors to determine which vendor is the best fit to pilot your solution.
- Plan the pilot: select who will be in the test group and which applications will be supported.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Documented functional requirements.
- Documented technical requirements.
- Identified the appropriate vendor to host the solution that best fits the organization’s requirements.
- Developed a plan to conduct the pilot.
|2.1||Develop technical and functional requirements||
|2.2||Test out the products in the market (PoC) to further refine requirements||
|2.3||Create the Request for Proposal (RFP)||
|2.4||Assess the responses from vendors to negotiate a service contract||
|2.5||Plan the pilot: select the test group and critical applications||
|2.6||Draft an end-user satisfaction survey||
Module 3: Plan Your Desktop Virtualization Implementation
- Discuss the milestones and initiatives required to implement desktop virtualization.
- Build a roadmap of initiatives mapped on a timeline.
- Discuss best practices around an implementation plan.
- Develop a communication plan.
Key Benefits Achieved
- An action plan for implementing and communicating the desktop virtualization solution.
- Creation of a roadmap of initiatives to implement desktop virtualization.
|3.1||Brainstorm milestones and deliverables||
|3.2||List the project initiatives||
|3.3||Consolidate the initiatives into a project roadmap/timeline||
|3.4||Discuss best practices around implementation||
|3.5||Develop a communication plan||