Grow Your Own PPM Solution
Two-thirds of organizations use a home-grown PPM solution. Here’s a better way to do it.
Info-Tech’s blueprint will help you navigate between common PPM challenges:
- Working without a PPM solution allows time and money to vanish without being accounted for.
- Commercial PPM tools have far more functionality but are vastly more costly, complex, and difficult to adopt than homegrown solutions.
- Most PPM solutions are based on Excel, but these tools require care and discipline to use effectively.
Info-Tech’s blueprint will help you grow a PPM solution that is:
- Affordable by leveraging software you already own and use.
- Adoptable because it lets you start using it today and mature gradually.
- Effective by focusing on PPM functions with the best ration of highest value to low effort.
Module 1: Assess PPM Capability
- Assess the current state of project portfolio management capability at your organization. The activities in this step will inform the next steps of this blueprint by exploring your organization’s current strengths and weaknesses and identifying areas that require improvement.
- Set up the workbook to generate a fully functional project portfolio workbook that will give you a high-level view into your portfolio.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A high-level view of your current portfolio capability.
- A cost & benefit analysis of your PMO.
- A fully functional high-level PPM solution in Excel.
|1.1||Assess your current state||
|1.2||Set up the Project Portfolio Workbook||
Module 2: Build and Maintain the Project Portfolio Workbook
- Define a list of requirements for your PPM solution that meets the needs of all stakeholders. It will also include an action plan regarding next steps for implementation.
- Implement your homegrown PPM solution. The activities outlined in this step will help to promote adoption of the tool throughout your organization.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Define requirements for the PPM solution.
- A fully customized PPM solution in your chosen platform.
- An action plan for implementation and managing resistance.
|2.1||Define the implementation requirements||
|2.2||Implement the PPM solution||