- The number of IT project resources and the quantity of IT projects and tasks can no longer be recorded, prioritized, and tracked using non-commercial project portfolio management (PPM) solutions.
- Your organization has attained a moderate level of PPM maturity.
- You have sufficient financial and technical resources to purchase a commercial PPM solution.
- There is a wide variety of commercial PPM solutions; different kinds of PPM solutions are more appropriate for organizations of a certain size and a certain PPM maturity level than others.
- Implementations of PPM solutions are often unsuccessful resulting in wasted time and resources; failing to achieve sustainable adoption of the tool is a widespread pain point.
- The costs of PPM solutions do not end after the implementation and subscription invoices are paid. Have realistic expectations about the time required to use and maintain PPM solutions to ensure success.
- PPM solutions help PMOs serve the organization’s core decision makers. Success depends on improved service to these stakeholders.
Impact and Result
- Using Info-Tech’s Vendor Landscape and PPM solution use cases, you will be able to make sense of the diversity of PPM solutions available in today’s market and choose the most appropriate solution for your organization’s size and level of PPM maturity.
- Info-Tech’s blueprint for a PPM solution selection and implementation project will provide you with a variety of tools and templates.
- A carefully planned out and executed selection and implementation process will help ensure your organization can maximize the value of your project portfolio and will allow the PMO to improve portfolio stakeholder satisfaction.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real-time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this blueprint and what our clients have to say.
Average $ Saved
Average Days Saved
Workshop: Select and Implement an IT PPM Solution
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Launch the PPM Solution Project and Gather Requirements
- Create a PPM solution selection and implementation project charter.
- Gather the business and technical requirements for the PPM solution.
- Establish clear and measurable success criteria for your PPM solution project.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Comprehensive project plan
- Comprehensive and organized record of the various PPM solution requirements
- A record of PPM solution project goals and criteria that can be used in the future to establish the success of the project
Brainstorm, refine, and prioritize your PPM solution needs
- High-level outline of PPM solution requirements
Stakeholder identification exercise
- Stakeholder consultation plan
Project charter work session
- A draft project charter and action plan to fill in project charter gaps
Requirements gathering work session
- A draft requirements workbook and action plan to fill in requirement gathering gaps
PPM solution success metrics workbook session
- A PPM project success metrics workbook that can be used during and after the project
Module 2: Select a PPM Solution
- Identify the PPM solutions that are most appropriate for your organization’s size and level of PPM maturity.
- Create a PPM solution and vendor shortlist.
- Create a request for proposal (RFP).
- Create a PPM solution scoring and evaluation tool.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Knowledge of the PPM solution market and the various features available
- An informed shortlist of PPM vendors
- An organized and focused method for evaluating the often long and complex responses to the RFP that vendors provide
- The groundwork for an informed and defensible selection of a PPM solution for your organization
Assess the size of your organization and the level of PPM maturity to select the most appropriate use case
- Identification of the most appropriate use case in Info-Tech’s Vendor Landscape
PPM solution requirements and criteria ranking activity
- A refined and organized list of the core features that will be included in the RFP
An RFP working session
- A draft RFP with an action plan to fill in any RFP gaps
Build an RFP evaluation tool
- An Excel tool that can be used to compare and evaluate vendors’ responses to the RFP
Module 3: Prepare for the PPM Solution Implementation
- To think ahead to the eventual implementation of the solution that will occur once the selection phase is completed
Key Benefits Achieved
- An understanding of key insights and steps that will help avoid mistakes resulting in poor adoption or PPM solutions that end up producing little tangible value
Outline high-level implementation stages
- High-level implementation tasks and milestones
- A RACI chart for core implementation tasks
Organizational change management strategy session
- A high-level PPM solution implementation organizational change management strategy
- A RACI chart for core organizational change management tasks related to the PPM solution implementation
A PPM project success metrics planning session
- A PPM project success metrics schedule and plan