Grow Your Own PPM Solution
Two-thirds of organizations use a homegrown PPM solution. Here’s a better way to do it.
- Throwing expensive technology at bad process rarely works, yet many organizations take this approach to solve their PPM problems.
- Commercial PPM solutions are powerful and compelling, but they are also expensive, complex, and hard to use.
- When a solution is not properly adopted, the data can be unreliable and inconsistent, defeating the point of purchasing a tool in the first place. In this case, the technology is aggravating process problems instead of solving them.
- Get your processes in order before you invest in expensive technology. Once you have streamlined and road-tested your processes, you can look at implementing a more complex tool in the long term.
- Focus on adoptability. The entire PPM vendor community has less than 20% market share. PPM solutions have mostly failed to help organizations.
- PPM solutions are living tools. Make sure that the solution has room to grow and continuously improve with the organization.
Impact and Result
- Develop an affordable, adoptable, and effective PPM solution using widely available tools, based on Info-Tech’s ready-to-deploy templates.
- Customize the solution to your organization’s capability and PPM requirements to ensure higher adoption rates among end users.
- Validate your processes using the homegrown tool before investing in an expensive commercial tool.
- Martin Baclig, Project Manager, Project and Change Support Office, Alberta Innovates Technology Futures
- Molly Clayton, PMO Manager, Hyatt Corporation
- John Hansknecht, Director of Technology, University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy
- Ben Leighton, Academic IT Lead, Durham University
- Nancy Roberge, Technical Advisor, Government of Canada
- Jochen Sievert, Director of Information Technology, Zeon Chemicals
- James Simkins, IT Planning Director, Baptist Health Care
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should grow your own PPM solution, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Assess PPM capability
Assess current PPM capability and set up the Project Portfolio Workbook.
Build and implement the Project Portfolio Workbook
Gather PPM requirements and implement the PPM solution.
Module 1: Assess PPM Capability
- Assess the current state of project portfolio management capability at your organization. The activities in this step will inform the next steps of this blueprint by exploring your organization’s current strengths and weaknesses and identifying areas that require improvement.
- Set up the workbook to generate a fully functional project portfolio workbook that will give you a high-level view into your portfolio.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A high-level view of your current portfolio capability.
- A cost & benefit analysis of your PMO.
- A fully functional high-level PPM solution in Excel.
|1.1||Assess your current state||
|1.2||Set up the Project Portfolio Workbook||
Module 2: Build and Maintain the Project Portfolio Workbook
- Define a list of requirements for your PPM solution that meets the needs of all stakeholders. It will also include an action plan regarding next steps for implementation.
- Implement your homegrown PPM solution. The activities outlined in this step will help to promote adoption of the tool throughout your organization.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Define requirements for the PPM solution.
- A fully customized PPM solution in your chosen platform.
- An action plan for implementation and managing resistance.
|2.1||Define the implementation requirements||
|2.2||Implement the PPM solution||
Drive Organizational Change from the PMO
Tame the Project Backlog
Define and Deploy an Enterprise PMO
Create Project Management Success
Develop a Project Portfolio Management Strategy
Grow Your Own PPM Solution
Optimize Project Intake, Approval, and Prioritization
Manage a Minimum-Viable PMO
Govern and Manage an Enterprise Software Implementation
Develop a Resource Management Strategy for the New Reality
Select and Implement a PPM Solution
Prepare to Successfully Deploy PPM Software
Enhance PPM Dashboards and Reports
Set a Strategic Course of Action for the PMO in 100 Days
Focus on Project Management Essentials
Avoid Project Management Pitfalls
Increase Throughput by Driving Completion and Closure
Empower Decision Makers Through a Project Portfolio Office
Rebalance Project Intake for Small Enterprise
Search Code: 74120
Published: February 4, 2014
Last Revised: July 13, 2015