13 companies contributed interviews towards this research. All participants requested confidentiality.
- IT organizations seem to do everything in projects, yet fewer than 15% successfully complete all deliverables on time and on budget.
- Project managers seem to succumb to the relentless pressure from stakeholders to deliver more, more quickly, with fewer resources, and with less support than is ideal.
- To achieve greater likelihood that your project will stay on track, watch out for the four big pitfalls: scope creep, failure to obtain stakeholder commitment, inability to assemble a team, and failure to plan.
- While many project managers worry about proper planning as the key to project success, skilled management of the political factors around a project has a much greater impact on success.
- Alone, combating scope creep can improve your likelihood of success by a factor of 2x.
- A strong project sponsor will be key to fighting the inevitable battles to control scope and obtain resources.
Impact and Result
- Take steps to avoid falling into common project pitfalls.
- Assess which pitfalls threaten your project in its current state and take appropriate steps to avoid falling into them.
- Avoiding pitfalls will allow you to deliver value on time and on budget, creating the perception of success in users’ and managers’ eyes.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.