The Board of Directors and Chief Curator at a well-respected museum on the US east coast saw the need for IT to develop better Project oversight. As each new museum exhibit involved some IT capability, IT had to better manage its resources to supply both new (even last-minute) functionality as well as make progress against legacy maintenance issues.
A new PMO director was hired just two weeks before Info-Tech arrived on-site, the workshop being timed to help the new PMO director launch the PPM function. In just one week, Info-Tech helped the museum move its IT PPM process and tool creation forward a “light year.”
Summary & Success
- Developed a new view of IT projects as a portfolio of investments.
- Visualized the current portfolio spend and its allocation against the museum’s key strategic objectives.
- Devised a staffing model that will help IT and the business better prioritize project initiatives.
- Designed an “idea radar” mechanism to help IT stay ahead of new initiatives.
- Planned IT’s ongoing interface with key business units to help in project approval and prioritization.