- Television viewing has changed dramatically with the rise of streaming services like Netflix. Guests now expect personal control over the content they view, by accessing their personal subscriptions, casting from a personal device, or watching their own local programming when they travel internationally.
- Hotel televisions now permit two-way communication on the IP network, allowing for a range of features including PMS integration, POS or CRM offers, targeted advertising, and in-room controls. The range of features varies from vendor to vendor and the client will want to consider the full range of features available in this market.
- Video already puts high demands on the hotel network and those demands will only increase as image definition goes higher. Clients will want a reliable vendor who can diagnose and resolve video-related problems in an efficient manner.
- The in-room entertainment space is highly competitive with each vendor offering a range of different features. However, hotels should ask vendors about support metrics because the features they offer are only worthwhile if they are reliable. A Chromecast dongle, for example, might be more trouble than its worth if it does not perform reliably or is not intuitive for the guest to use.
- Hotels should use metrics available through advanced reporting and analytics on channel viewership as a potential source of cost reduction. Many channels have a high per-room cost. Viewership analytics can help hotels to decide if a channel is worth the price. A channel like HBO or ESPN carries a high per room cost. If its cost is not supported by viewership, then hotels should question its value.
Impact and Result
- Increase customer engagement by allowing guests to watch their own content and internet subscriptions on the hotel television.
- Provide a personalized customer experience by using the television for targeted advertising and promotions.
- Control TV branding and content from a centralized center through a cloud-based SaaS solution.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.