Drive Real Business Value with an HRIS Strategy
An HRIS roadmap that is aligned with your organization’s priorities provides a clear path forward for both HR and IT.
- In most organizations, the HR application portfolio has evolved tactically on an as-needed basis, resulting in un-integrated systems and significant effort spent on manual workarounds.
- The relationship between HR and IT is not optimal for technology decision making. System-related decisions are made by HR and IT is typically involved only post-purchase to fix issues as they arise and offer workarounds.
- IT systems for HR are not viewed as a strategic differentiator or business enabler, thereby leading to a limited budget and resources for HR IT systems and subsequently hindering the adoption of a strategic, holistic perspective.
- Some organizations overinvest, while others underinvest in lightweight, point-to-point solutions. Finding the sweet spot between a full suite and lightweight functionality is no easy task.
- Align HRIS goals with the business. Organizations must position HR as a partner prior to embarking on an HRIS initiative, aligning technology goals with organizational objectives before looking at software.
- Communication is key. Often, HR and IT speak different languages. Maintain a high degree of communication by engaging stakeholder groups early.
- Plan where you want to go. Designing a roadmap based on clear requirements, alignment with the business, and an understanding of priorities will contribute to success.
Impact and Result
- Evaluate the current state of HRIS, understand the pain points, and visualize your ideal processes prior to choosing a solution.
- Explore the different solution alternatives: maintain current system, integrate and consolidate, augment, or replace system entirely.
- Create a plan to engage IT and HR throughout the project. Equip HR with the decision-making tools to meet business objectives and drive business strategy. Establish a common language for IT and HR to effectively communicate.
- Develop a practical and actionable roadmap that the entire organization can buy into.
Start here – read the Executive Brief
Read our concise Executive Brief to find out why you should develop an HRIS strategy, review Info-Tech’s methodology, and understand the four ways we can support you in completing this project.
Conduct an environmental scan
Create a clear project vision that outlines the goals and objectives for the HRIS strategy. Subsequently, construct an HRIS business model that is informed by enablers, barriers, and the organizational, IT, and HR needs.
Design the future state
Gather high-level requirements to determine the ideal future state. Explore solution alternatives and choose the path that is best aligned with the organization's needs.
Finalize the roadmap
Identify roadmap initiatives. Prioritize initiatives based on importance and effort.
Book Your Workshop
Onsite workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost onsite delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Conduct an Environmental Scan
- Understand the importance of creating an HRIS strategy before proceeding with software selection and implementation.
- Learn why a large percentage of HRIS projects fail and how to avoid common mistakes.
- Set expectations for the HRIS strategy and understand Info-Tech’s HRIS methodology.
- Complete a project charter to gain buy-in, build a project team, and track project success.
Key Benefits Achieved
- A go/no-go decision on the project appropriateness.
- Project stakeholders identified.
- Project team created with defined roles and responsibilities.
- Finalized project charter to gain buy-in.
Set a direction for the project by clarifying the focus.
- Project vision
Identify the right stakeholders for your project team.
- Defined project roles and responsibilities
Identify HRIS needs, barriers, and enablers.
- Completed HRIS business model
Map the current state of your HRIS.
- Completed current state map and thorough understanding of the HR technology landscape
Align your business goals with your HR goals and objectives.
- Strategy alignment between HR and the business
Module 2: Design the Future State
- Gain a thorough understanding of the HRIS-related pains felt throughout the organization.
- Use stakeholder-identified pains to directly inform the HRIS strategy and long-term solution.
- Visualize your ideal processes and realize the art of the possible.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Requirements to strengthen the business case and inform the strategy.
- The art of the possible.
- Pain points classified by data, people, process, and technology
Sketch ideal future state processes.
- Ideal future process vision
Establish process owners.
- Assigned process owners, guiding principles, and metrics for each HR process in scope
Determine guiding principles.
Module 3: Create Roadmap and Finalize Deliverable
- Brainstorm and prioritize short- and long-term HRIS tasks.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Understand next steps for the HRIS project.
Create a high-level implementation plan that shows dependencies.
- Completed implementation plan
Identify risks and mitigation efforts.
- Completed risk management plan
Finalize stakeholder presentation.
- HRIS stakeholder presentation
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.
Bay Cove Human Services Inc.
Great facilitation by Suanne - wasn't long enough.
Black & McDonald
Process was excellent.
County Of Hastings
Experience was excellent overall. There was excellent knowledge and guidance given by the Info-Tech representative. I would recommend the process to anyone considering a major HRIS initiative. I do not have any negative aspects to list.
INFO & materials effectiveness
Understanding of next steps
San Manuel IT