RETIRED CONTENTPlease note that the content on this page is retired. This content is not maintained and may contain information or links that are out of date.
The purpose of Business – IT Alignment is to optimize the value that IT contributes to the enterprise. As such, in order to successfully outline a strategic IT roadmap, it is important to start here. An organization has successfully aligned IT strategy to business strategy when there is:
- A shared understanding of how IT applications, technologies and services will contribute to business objectives – today and in the future.
- A shared focus on where to expend scarce resources, time and money; the tradeoffs the enterprise is prepared to make.
- A credible working relationship between the IT organization and the rest of the business evidenced by reliable daily operations, responsive problem management and predictable, innovative solution delivery.
Business – IT Alignment is achieved through the completion of four main steps:
- Set Conditions to Achieve Alignment
- Scan for Potentially Enabling Technologies
- Determine IT Value Imperatives
- Develop IT Vision and Mission
Business – IT Alignment should be revisited and updated at least annually, or when there is a significant course correction in corporate direction.
Tool included in this bundle:
- Assessing Enterprise Strategy
- Business Executive Interview Guide
- Enterprise Strategy and Goals
- IT Imperatives
- IT Strategy and Roadmap Scope Statement
- IT Vision and Mission Statements Template
- IT Vision Meeting Agenda
- Key Success Factors Analysis Tool
- Kickoff Meeting Template
- Stakeholder Guidelines and Analysis
- Technology Monitor