The purpose of Business – IT Alignment is to optimize the value that IT contributes to the enterprise. As such, in order to successfully outline a strategic IT roadmap, it is important to start here. An organization has successfully aligned IT strategy to business strategy when there is:
- A shared understanding of how IT applications, technologies and services will contribute to business objectives – today and in the future.
- A shared focus on where to expend scarce resources, time and money; the tradeoffs the enterprise is prepared to make.
- A credible working relationship between the IT organization and the rest of the business evidenced by reliable daily operations, responsive problem management and predictable, innovative solution delivery.
Business – IT Alignment is achieved through the completion of four main steps:
- Set Conditions to Achieve Alignment
- Scan for Potentially Enabling Technologies
- Determine IT Value Imperatives
- Develop IT Vision and Mission
Business – IT Alignment should be revisited and updated at least annually, or when there is a significant course correction in corporate direction.
Tool included in this bundle:
- Assessing Enterprise Strategy
- Business Executive Interview Guide
- Enterprise Strategy and Goals
- IT Imperatives
- IT Strategy and Roadmap Scope Statement
- IT Vision and Mission Statements Template
- IT Vision Meeting Agenda
- Key Success Factors Analysis Tool
- Kickoff Meeting Template
- Stakeholder Guidelines and Analysis
- Technology Monitor