THIS CONTENT IS OUT OF DATEThis content is retired but we have related up-to-date content below.
- Server consolidation, utility computing, server virtualization, internal cloud: they all absolutely require a solid foundation of shared networked storage. However, networked storage is expensive and the vendor space is crowded.
- The majority of organizations have moved beyond consolidation benefits of server virtualization, and many are pursuing desktop virtualization, shifting focus to demand for greater input/output operations per second (IOPS) capabilities.
- Most organizations have heard about the many benefits of solid state drives (SSDs) that organizations have achieved in their environments, making it all the more important to understand how and when to leverage this technology to meet changing business requirements.
- This solution set will clearly describe the strengths and weaknesses of a full range of vendors in midrange storage, and will apply a range of scenarios to provide deeper insight into what solutions are best.
- Start with the strategic drivers. For example, infrastructure consolidation and virtualization may have different requirements than providing capacity for a few high traffic OLTP databases.
- Align the cost of the storage with the value of what is being stored. The fastest drive types (solid state drives), high redundancy (RAID and replication), and higher cost network switching (FC) may not be necessary for the value of much of what is being stored.
- Balance necessary redundancy with improved utilization. Redundancy increases the cost per terabyte of data stored, but may be necessary to meet service levels (performance, availability, and recovery objectives). Utilization features enable doing more with less, decreasing the cost per terabyte of data stored through more efficient provisioning.
Impact and Result
- Understand what kind of consolidated storage is appropriate for core needs and what kind of features boost storage value.
- Prepare an RFP and score RFP responses effectively.
- Create a shortlist of consolidated storage vendors and select which is the best fit for your organization and budget.
- Develop implementation plans that address common consolidated storage pitfalls.
Talk to an Analyst
Our analyst calls are focused on helping our members use the research we produce, and our experts will guide you to successful project completion.
Book an Analyst Call on this topic.
You can start as early as tomorrow morning. Our analysts will explain the process in your first call.
Get advice from a subject matter expert.
Each call will focus on explaining the material and helping you to plan your project, interpret and analyze the results of each project step, and setting the direction for your next project step.