- Disk-to-disk backup is emerging as preeminent backup architecture. A recent Info-Tech survey found 62% investing in a new backup architecture were focused on disk-to-disk (as opposed to 17% on disk-to-tape).
- Disk backup options continue to grow. Growth in the ability of backup software to accommodate a wider range of targets means that deduplicating nearline storage arrays are legitimate appliances along with VTLs.
- Growth of host-based deduplication (in backup software) means that not all disk targets need to be deduplicating appliances. However, both appliance vendors and backup software vendors are pushing hybrids of source and target deduplication for better backup performance.
- Appliance vendors will continue to leverage disk management features such as redundancy and replication for more resiliency and multi-site mobility of backups.
- As companies face growing data needs, backup and recovery become essential. The landscape for backup storage is changing with the switch from tape to disk-based backup. Vendors are fighting for share in this attractive market as disk backup is deployed to meet higher availability, reliability, and recovery requirements.
- Every disk backup vendor has the basic features, such as site-to-site replication and target side deduplication; if table stakes are all your enterprise needs, differentiate on price and vendor stability.
- The market is highly commoditized, but certain vendors offer advanced features that must be evaluated to ensure that the solution is the right fit for the current and future critical environment requirements, or to avoid paying for unneeded features.
Impact and Result
- Identify and rank vendor offerings in the disk backup landscape.
- Understand the table stakes as well as the advanced features that differentiate offerings between disk backup vendors.
- Evaluate disk backup vendors and products to determine the right fit for your enterprise needs.
- Select a disk backup solution by providing additional scenario-based criteria.
This content is exclusive to members.
Get instant access by signing up!