IT leaders in North American organizations suddenly charged with managing data center facilities in other countries are faced with the challenge of normalizing structure, staffing, process, and procedures on a global scale. Most IT leaders have limited knowledge in managing global data centers, thus deciding what to tackle first can be an overwhelming experience.
- Organizations inherit a global data center through different scenarios: Merger & Acquisition, Expanding Footprint, and Greenfield Expansion each come with unique integration challenges.
- Project management and planning is crucial to the success of a new global data center. When possible, Info-Tech recommends 12 months of planning.
- IT Pros that expend more effort on gathering business requirements and inventorying applications and equipment at all sites are more successful.
Impact and Result
- Understand the challenges associated with integrating global data center facilities to prepare for and overcome obstacles.
- Look at the big picture in regards to infrastructure and applications to uncover opportunities and weaknesses of facilities.
- Use communication strategies to effectively communicate with your new global team based on a global communication strategy.
- List and prioritize all projects and changes required according to criticality, legality, resources available, and budget.