Build a Strategy for Big Data Platforms
Big Data; let's talk about the elephant in the room.
Send a friend or colleague a link to this article
- The immaturity of the big data market means that organizations lack examples and best practices to follow, and they are often left trailblazing their own paths.
- Experienced and knowledgeable big data professionals are limited and without creative resourcing; IT might struggle to fill big data positions.
- The term NoSQL has become a catch-all phrase for big data technologies; however, the technologies falling under the umbrella of NoSQL are disparate and often misunderstood. Organizations are at risk of adopting incorrect technologies if they don’t take the time to learn the jargon.
- NoSQL plays a key role in the emergence of the big data market, but it has not made relational databases outdated. Successful big data strategies can be conducted using SQL, NoSQL, or a combination of the two.
- Assign a Data Architect to oversee your initiative. Hire or dedicate someone who has the ability to develop both a short-term and long-term vision and that has hands-on experience with data management, mining and modeling. You will still need someone (like a database administrator) who understands the database, the schemas, and the structure.
- Understand your data before you attempt to use it. Take a master data management approach to ensure there are rules and standards for managing your enterprise’s data, and take extra caution when integrating external sources.
Impact and Result
- Assess whether SQL, NoSQL, or a combination of both technologies will provide you with the appropriate capabilities to achieve your business objectives and gain value from your data.
- Form a Big Data Team to bring together IT and the business in order to leave a successful initiative.
- Conduct ongoing training with your personnel to ensure up-to-date skills and end-user understanding.
- Frequently scan the big data market space to identify new technologies and opportunities to help optimize your big data strategy.
Get the Complete Storyboard
See how all the steps you need to take come together, with tools and advice to help with each task on your list.Download Now
Get to Action
Develop a big data strategy
Know where to start and where to focus attention in the implementation of a big data strategy.
Assess the appropriateness of big data technologies
Decide the most correct tools to use in order to solve enterprise data management problems.
Determine the TCO of a scale out implementation
Compare the TCO of a SQL (scale up) with a NoSQL (scale out) deployment to determine whether NoSQL will save costs.