- Traditional siloed infrastructure makes it difficult for IT to deliver the cloud-like agility and functionality the organization demands.
- Hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) can simplify workload deployment for organizations that do not have the resources or expertise to deploy a full infrastructure stack, especially smaller IT-led organizations.
- Organizations adopting HCI need to be aware of the possibilities of vendor and product lock-in from hyperconvergence, avoid it when possible, and ensure the solution fits organizational needs.
- The top HCI vendors started in storage. Enterprise-grade storage is at the heart of the leading hyperconverged vendors. Most of these vendors evolved into the integrated systems space, but developed their technology on enterprise-ready storage.
- Flash is more than storage caching. Flash cost continues to go down, while the capacity of flash continues to increase. Coupled with higher performance features like deduplication, all-flash HCI solutions are beginning to become the norm.
- Evaluate potential vendor lock-in. Hyperconvergence delivers integrated solutions that optimize software to all silos of infrastructure resources, potentially creating lock-in to a single vendor or solution. Identify interoperability issues and concerns before going all-in with an HCI vendor.
Impact and Result
- Explore the evolution of the hyperconverged infrastructure market and learn about the changes HCI can bring to your infrastructure.
- Evaluate the hyperconverged infrastructure products and vendors that will be able to meet your enterprise needs.
- Determine which products are most appropriate for your particular use case and scenario.
This guided implementation is a three call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Shortlist Assistance and Requirements
Call #1 - Get off to a productive start: Discuss the market space and how vendors are evaluated. Decide which platform suits you best and narrow down the options based on customized requirements.
Guided Implementation #2 - RFP and Budget Review
Call #1 - Interpret and act on RFP results: Review vendors’ RFPs and ensure the solution will meet your needs. Discuss average pricing of solutions and what can fit into your budget.
Guided Implementation #3 - Negotiation and Contract Review
Call #1 - Purchase optimization: Review contracts and discuss best practices in negotiation tactics to get the best price for your solution.
After each Info-Tech experience, we ask our members to quantify the real time savings, monetary impact, and project improvements our research helped them achieve. See our top member experiences for this Blueprint, and what our clients have to say.