- Tribal nations are often unclear as to how strategic decisions are made, why priority is given to certain objectives, and how the overall strategic planning process is achieved.
- Tribal nations require a unified and validated view of tribal capabilities that aligns initiatives, investments, and strategy in order to further their nation building efforts.
- The Tribal Nation Reference Architecture provides a basis for the development of IT solutions that encompass all departments, programs, and services that deliver the greatest value, eliminate duplication, increase efficiency, and reduce cost.
- Successful nation building requires planning that:
- Accurately reflects your tribal nation capabilities.
- Is traceable so all levels can understand how decisions are made.
- Makes efficient use of your tribal nation’s resources.
- To accomplish this, the reference architect must engage contributors to document the current state of your tribal nation and drive planning with a customized reference architecture.
Impact and Result
- Demonstrate the value of IT’s role in supporting your tribal nation’s capabilities while highlighting the importance of proper alignment between nation building and IT strategies.
- Recognize the opportunity for architecture work, analyze the current and target states of your tribal nation’s strategy, and identify and engage the appropriate contributors.
- Apply reference architecture techniques such as strategy maps, value streams, and capability maps to design usable and accurate blueprints of your tribal nation.
- Assess your initiatives and priorities to determine if you are investing in the right capabilities. Conduct capability assessments to identify opportunities and to prioritize projects.
This guided implementation is a nine call advisory process.
Guided Implementation #1 - Engage
Call #1 - Introduce Info-Tech’s Tribal Nation Reference Architecture methodology.
Call #2 - Develop a contributor engagement strategy.
Call #3 - Review the contributor engagement strategy.
Guided Implementation #2 - Model
Call #1 - Create a strategy map and define value streams that are unique to your tribal nation.
Call #2 - Model your tribal nation capability maps.
Call #3 - Map value streams to your tribal nation capabilities.
Guided Implementation #3 - Drive