- Stakeholder relationships in tribal contexts are sometimes more complex due to the overlap of tribal and business governance.
- HR must regularly influence stakeholders across a broad spectrum of issues and model best practices, such as applying fair hiring policies consistently.
- In tribal contexts in particular, influencing can be especially challenging if HR is brought in from outside the tribal community and must build trust in order to function effectively.
- Strong stakeholder relationships in a Native Nations context often require communicating effectively with tribal stakeholders.
- Building strong relationships with stakeholders across the organization gives HR the influence it needs to succeed in its initiatives and drive business results.
Impact and Result
- Strong stakeholder relationships begin with open communication. Use McLean & Company’s HR Stakeholder Management Survey to encourage communication between HR and stakeholders across the organization, including tribal stakeholders.
- Gain a clear understanding of stakeholder needs and priorities, as well as where HR needs to focus improvements.
- Invite stakeholders to give input on changes, to increase trust and buy-in.
- Train HR to communicate with and effectively influence stakeholders at all levels.
- Identify key stakeholders within the organization and develop a strategy for communicating with them.
- Train HR in six influence tactics, and adapt these to suit tribal culture and values.
Workshop: Strengthen Tribal HR’s Stakeholder Management Capabilities
Workshops offer an easy way to accelerate your project. If you are unable to do the project yourself, and a Guided Implementation isn't enough, we offer low-cost delivery of our project workshops. We take you through every phase of your project and ensure that you have a roadmap in place to complete your project successfully.
Module 1: Discuss Stakeholder Feedback and Prioritize Stakeholders
- Complete all necessary data and prioritization prior to conducting training.
- Ensure training deck is ready for implementation.
Key Benefits Achieved
- All pre-work to training is competed.
- Training deck is customized, and logistics of training are planned.
Decide whether you will use the HRSM or Stakeholder Interview Guide.
- Guide for project is selected.
Review additional sources of stakeholder relationships.
- Additional data sources reviewed with HR team.
Assess stakeholder relationships.
- Gathered insight about current stakeholder relationships.
- Identified stakeholders you will prioritize building relationships with.
Identify the social styles of prioritized stakeholders.
- Planned effective communication through social styles.
Prepare to implement influence training: review and customize the training deck.
- Training deck is customized and ready for implementation.
Plan out influence training logistics.
- Logistics planned and influence training prepared for implementation.
Module 2: Meet With HR to Discuss Feedback and Draft Initial Action Plan
- Gather information post-implementation.
- Discuss with stakeholders and communicate effectively.
- Determine your action plan.
Key Benefits Achieved
- Information is gathered and documented.
- Stakeholders have provided input on survey results and communication plan is created.
- Action plan is set.
Gather or define goals and metrics.
- Information gathered and goals and metrics defined.
Prepare to communicate effectively with stakeholders across the organization.
- Communication strategy determined.
Meet with stakeholders to discuss survey results and get their input on strategic priorities.
- Survey results discussed with stakeholders.
Prioritize your action plan.
- Understand your action plan going forward.